Richmond hill

LightBulb

Does anyone remember when we had threads for about 2 weeks when all was dandy and interesting. Oh to go back again. 

This is place is turning into a shit show again..and I know the exact response from one specific person I’ll receive.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Potentially possibly yes, but in actual fact not. Mainly because it is closed to visitors weekends. 

It's because the horses are all unionised from their Corpy days.  They want time-and-a-half on weekends.

(Incidentally didn't even the HORFOH complain about the size of the car park because it took away so much grazing.  And from memory it was never even completely used during the construction - they just left most of the vehicles on the road as usual)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Yes I agree with you there. Never got my head around that. We close when everyone is able to come to us. 

I could never work that one out, we have the children at home its the weekend and what they would like to see is closed ? but we are a charity please support us with cash and patronage ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, asitis said:

I could never work that one out, we have the children at home its the weekend and what they would like to see is closed ? but we are a charity please support us with cash and patronage ?

There are three things, mainly predicated on our tourist past, when Saturday was changeover day, but also civil service inflexibility in case of it being a publicly owned/run location, and the fact that volunteers have families and want time with them if it’s a small charity.

1. Historically no one visited on Saturdays, they left on the morning boat and the influx didn’t arrive until later in the day and had to check in. There were few coach trips until evening and after 1960’s when it was perceived as a tourist attraction, not bona fide means of transport, the steam railway didn’t run. Locals were busy with tourists in summer and Saturday was changeover day.

2. Lords day observance messed with Sundays. CS didn’t work weekends, and never on Sundays, apart from essential services. And where they did they wanted more cash, not days off in lieu. Change has been a long time coming. Sunday opening of the Manx Museum was something I pushed for both times I served as a Trustee. On both occasions, nearly 20 years apart it was contractual difficulties. Although the Museum always managed to open for cruise ship passengers but not locals.

3. CS and volunteers, especially volunteers, are people, and have the right to have time with family, just like anyone else. It can be hard to motivate volunteers for Sunday rota.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There are three things, mainly predicated on our tourist past, when Saturday was changeover day, but also civil service inflexibility in case of it being a publicly owned/run location, and the fact that volunteers have families and want time with them if it’s a small charity.

1. Historically no one visited on Saturdays, they left on the morning boat and the influx didn’t arrive until later in the day and had to check in. There were few coach trips until evening and after 1960’s when it was perceived as a tourist attraction, not bona fide means of transport, the steam railway didn’t run. Locals were busy with tourists in summer and Saturday was changeover day.

2. Lords day observance messed with Sundays. CS didn’t work weekends, and never on Sundays, apart from essential services. And where they did they wanted more cash, not days off in lieu. Change has been a long time coming. Sunday opening of the Manx Museum was something I pushed for both times I served as a Trustee. On both occasions, nearly 20 years apart it was contractual difficulties. Although the Museum always managed to open for cruise ship passengers but not locals.

3. CS and volunteers, especially volunteers, are people, and have the right to have time with family, just like anyone else. It can be hard to motivate volunteers for Sunday rota.

John I think you hit the nail on the head there in your first ten words ! especially the word "past" ! When so many charities are competing for public support, those who have moved with the times have invariably done better. I support the charity with cash and sponsor a horse, but the visitor numbers missed by not being open when children are around is probably huge !

When I moved to the island thirty years ago, I was told keep your mouth shut, many things are written in stone and can't be changed ! many of those stones are now millstones around the islands neck !

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, asitis said:

I support the charity with cash and sponsor a horse, but the visitor numbers missed by not being open when children are around is probably huge !

They don't need the money though, and children are a massive pain in the arse, especially when they have load of old loons happy to cough up.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'll tell you what, driving up Richmond Hill no faster than 30 is actually really difficult. Only me and a sparky were attempting it, everyone else seemed to be ignoring the half arsed signs and blasting up there faster than usual!

Are the 30mph speed limit signs just advisory, or compulsary ?, as i havent seen anthing in the paper to say there was an order in place for a speed restriction.

12 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Are the 30mph speed limit signs just advisory, or compulsary ?, as i havent seen anthing in the paper to say there was an order in place for a speed restriction.

http://www.iomguide.com/news/general-news.php?story=102731

Compulsory

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There were bin bags duck taped over the real signs so I guess compulsory. 

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Compulsory

The old bin bags and duck tape job.

I would suggest temporary if at all. Try testing that little one in court.