Boris and the Burkha

Chinahand

Not sure what to make of the outrage Boris has caused.

Firstly I think the man is an example of the worst type of politics, a populist buffoon with no willingness to engage in the detail of policy with an overly simplistic world view which has failed on its first contact with reality.

Then there is what he wrote - criticising Denmark for banning the Burkha, but then adding a personal view that he didn't agree with women wearing them.

Ah the politics of cultural sensitivity and all that.

If people want to wear a Burkha, a kilt, a dress, spandex or lycra rock on.

But just because you do, don't expect me to have the same opinion as you.  The UK still has a poor record on women's rights whether it is the pay-gap, the amount of menial labour women do compared to men, or the tampon tax.  But compared to mainstream Islamic jurisprudence, let alone extremist ideas, Muslim countries are far, far more oppressive.

Religions subjugate and enforce cultural conservatism - just ask a young women in Iran who wishes to dance or uncover her hair.

A culture which enforces the burkha is an oppressive culture and in my view should be sidelined in a modern society.

Some people will always voluntarily subjugate themselves to religious dogma, ask a nun, a monk, an orthodox jew or an Iman.

Good for them, but if a person wishes to voluntarily leave such a community that is also their prerogative.   

People shouldn't wear burkhas in courts, banks, doctors, or schools; and I could understand an establishment saying it does not allow people with their face covered entry.  Though if they aren't fussed neither am I.

I don't think I'm saying anything particularly different from Boris and if a politician is going to get shouted down over such cultural sensitivities then I'm concerned.  The Burkha isn't something to be championed - there are limits to the tolerances a society should provide and allowing Burkhas in courts or schools etc is in my view a tolerance too far.

Let's debate this issue, but the control-left is desperately looking for a way to get the labour party out of its anti-semitism funk and sees the Tories Islamic-issues as possibly fertile ground.  And what does Boris do ... jumps in in his usual way.

What a disaster of a politician.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boris just says and does what he thinks is best for raising the profile of Boris. Remember, as they say, no publicity is bad publicity. I remain convinced that he was only vote leave because Cameron was vote remain and he potentially saw his chance at PM.

9 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Boris just says and does what he thinks is best for raising the profile of Boris. Remember, as they say, no publicity is bad publicity. I remain convinced that he was only vote leave because Cameron was vote remain and he potentially saw his chance at PM.

Spot on.

He's playing both ends against the middle. On the one hand being careful to strictly not be saying anything offensive. But on the other hand carefully creating a controversy which will, in the reporting, make him appeal to the 100,000 provincial Conservative Party members who will decide who becomes the next PM (if a sensible fix cannot be arranged). The membership is increasingly lower middle class UKIP supporters. And there is a big push for them to do a Momentum style take over.

Both the Tories and Labour really need to split and re group. But I cannot see that as being likely.

it was funny and i suspect most of the offended were looking for something to say they were offended by.    all this PC shit has gone way to far,  every cunt and their camel claims to be offended about something or other these days.  this sums it up quite nicely.

Boris has done what the far-left and hand-wringing multiculturalists fear most-- opening up the subject of islamic culture for legitimate discussion. We're not supposed to talk about it though and if you do say too much you're liable to be called a greasy islamophobe, or even more inaccurately, a racist. Of course, that famous self-publicist and acceptable face of political islam, Baroness Waarsi surfaces, along with the racist David Lammy. True to form, in their usual, shouty fashion and revelling in the limelight, they seize the opportunity to claim victimhood on behalf of all muslims in the name of islam, attempting to stifle further discussion and conflating islam with race (again). 

Recent polls suggest Boris has a lot of support and that Britain remains a divided country. Some, more 'progressive' muslima's agree with him. As they do on other 'controversial' aspects of their culture/ideology; FGM, child/arranged-marriage, honour crime, women's rights and sharia law, aspects that historically have been closed to question or discussion.

About time.

6 minutes ago, quilp said:

Yes, he makes an easy target in that respect for those whose aim is to use as many cheap shots as they can to denigrate him. 

I think he does enough to denigrate himself. Do you actually think he is interested in anyone other than himself, seems to me that pretty much everything he does is calculated for self promotion and self publicity.

27 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

I think he does enough to denigrate himself. Do you actually think he is interested in anyone other than himself, seems to me that pretty much everything he does is calculated for self promotion and self publicity.

and bonking......

There's certainly an element of self-promotion about Boris, but most of the time he's instinctive and just tells it as he sees it.  His father's the same. Boris is also a very bright guy and he can't always constrain himself. There's no way he should apologise for his comment in the Telegraph. These things need to be said.  

I'd agree that these things need to be said in that perhaps a case for banning or dealing otherwise with full face veils is needed, or at least needed to be discussed. However, it was not necessary to say that those wearing them looked like bankrobbers or letterboxes. That's not me defending those wearing such veils, that's me believing that Boris only said as much to try to gain as much publicity as possible. Personally, I find it rather sad when politicians prefer to go for the cult of personality and sensationalism rather than just being politicians. Boris isn't interested in the good of the people, he is interested in the good of Boris.

Archived