When is the next "Mountain Road" closure planned ?

LightBulb

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Certainly no get rich quick strategy, I can assure you. I’m presuming you take the same view of locally developed cycle events?

Not really, cycling is a sport that encourages a healthy outdoors lifestyle and is environmentally friendly, and most cycle events are only a few quid to take part in so not at all exclusive and the funds like the end to end pay for community facilities.

Anyway if its for charity you should have said, which one are the proceeds going to?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Getting roads closed so that rich people in £100000+ sports cars can drive fast is in no way comparable to an amateur or even semi pro cycling event.

You are correct, there can be no comparison.

The expensive car events win every time for me. Just saying like

48 minutes ago, p3t3 said:

Not really, cycling is a sport that encourages a healthy outdoors lifestyle and is environmentally friendly, and most cycle events are only a few quid to take part in so not at all exclusive and the funds like the end to end pay for community facilities.

Anyway if its for charity you should have said, which one are the proceeds going to?

Where did DF say it was for charity?

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Getting roads closed so that rich people in £100000+ sports cars can drive fast is in no way comparable to an amateur or even semi pro cycling event.

In many ways it isn’t, but a closure is a closure. And it takes high speed off the public highway in relation to vehicles (safer) and for cyclists it protects them from conflict with other vehicles (safer) 

And safety is ultimately the most important thing. On top of that they are all events that contribute to the local economy. 

I am considering a FOI request to see how many times the Mountain has been closed this year and last year for anything other than RTC's, lot's of Northern living peeps are so pissed off with the Mountain Road being closed at the drop of a hat.

10 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

I am considering a FOI request to see how many times the Mountain has been closed this year and last year for anything other than RTC's, lot's of Northern living peeps are so pissed off with the Mountain Road being closed at the drop of a hat.

It's clearly a lot, don't be a Buster and put in an FOI for an exact number.  Waste of time and taxpayer's money.

If you want to rabble rouse then just do it, people will be pissed off with or without an exact number of closures.

33 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

From tomorrow, why don't you just count them for a year whilst accepting during that period tgat the road will be closed numerous time to cater for RTCs, poor weather, motorcycling events, possiibly cycling events,company promotional events, DoI preparation and maintenance time, emergency DoI reactionary occurrences?

1 hour ago, Last Ten said:

Think this one has been done. Check online. 

Archived