Daft Daphne is at it again

hissingsid

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It always amazes me how intelligent people blindly repeat the sort of nonsense they read in the British papers about benefits and so on and assume that (a) it's true(it usually isn't) and (b) that it applies to the Isle of Man as well.  In this particular case it doesn't take long to discover that the main form of benefit, Income Support, has a five year (continuous) IOM residential qualification and that you need ten continuous years on the Island to qualify for local authority housing (that doesn't mean you get it, just that they won't even look at you if you're not).

This indeed is why Caine's idea of taking Syrian (or any other sort) of refugees is impractical.  There isn't the legal framework to deal with them and there is no means of providing them with financial or housing support.

As an MHK, you would have thought that she would have had the sense to do some very basic research into this.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/9/2018 at 5:51 AM, Linz said:

What disgusting language. 

Why are these forums full of awful drunks like Big Norm embarrassing themselves?

Horrible. 

7D7DA2B8-B8A7-49F6-8CDA-BC8BBB231AA5.png

If you don't like it the "fuck off" option is always available.

Just like the "ignore" button....

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It always amazes me how intelligent people blindly repeat the sort of nonsense they read in the British papers about benefits and so on and assume that (a) it's true(it usually isn't) and (b) that it applies to the Isle of Man as well.  In this particular case it doesn't take long to discover that the main form of benefit, Income Support, has a five year (continuous) IOM residential qualification and that you need ten continuous years on the Island to qualify for local authority housing (that doesn't mean you get it, just that they won't even look at you if you're not).

This indeed is why Caine's idea of taking Syrian (or any other sort) of refugees is impractical.  There isn't the legal framework to deal with them and there is no means of providing them with financial or housing support.

I wasn’t making a point on benefits. But my wider point was that this piece of ‘creme de la creme’ has happily managed to meet all the eligibility criteria to get a council house in Strang Close and survive living here and is just a worthless scumbag who abuses hospital staff whilst drunk (which I image for an alcoholic is frequently) so why would we accommodate these people freely when there is so much angst raised at Syrians? They’re not all rapists and criminals as they’re portrayed in the Daily Mail. 

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

doesn't the reciprocal social security agreements overrule all that........

and why haven't you mentioned housing benefit........

38 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I wasn’t making a point on benefits. But my wider point was that this piece of ‘creme de la creme’ has happily managed to meet all the eligibility criteria to get a council house in Strang Close and survive living here and is just a worthless scumbag who abuses hospital staff whilst drunk (which I image for an alcoholic is frequently) so why would we accommodate these people freely when there is so much angst raised at Syrians? They’re not all rapists and criminals as they’re portrayed in the Daily Mail. 

Is it a council house. I thought there were some non-council houses there

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

Is it a council house. I thought there were some non-council houses there

They are all Commissioners houses. But as I said the issue isn’t housing but the fact that people like that are here in the first place when people are so vehemently opposed to Syrians who are probably at least industrious and wishing to improve their lives. Not violent alcoholics who abuse NHS staff who are subsidized by our taxes to spoil the quality of life for everyone else. 

Heres another example of the lovely people who have legally been allowed to make this place their home. Syrians would be no worse IMHO.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=43940&headline=Teenager attacked taxi passenger&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2018

17 minutes ago, ubbiali said:

Are you forgetting Mr Speaker?

I think 33 is right...24 Keys which includes Speaker (who is an MHK for Rushen) and 9 in LegCo, which includes Attorney General and Bishop. Perhaps those two can be excused as they are there ex officio; so if we made it 31 that’s virtually a like-for-like swap!

Edited to add - I think the LegCo 9 includes Rodan as “President”. If the Syrians want to negotiate terms, I’d be happy to take their 30 simply in exchange for the bagpipe worrier.

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I wasn’t making a point on benefits. But my wider point was that this piece of ‘creme de la creme’ has happily managed to meet all the eligibility criteria to get a council house in Strang Close and survive living here and is just a worthless scumbag who abuses hospital staff whilst drunk (which I image for an alcoholic is frequently)

But he'll have had to have been on the Island for at least 10 years to be able to even apply for local authority housing, unless he's the partner of a tenant (in which case it's not his).  But for all we know he could have been born here to Portuguese parents forty-odd years ago and lived here all his life, you can't assume someone's circumstances from them having a funny foreign name.

Actually I suspect the abusing hospital staff may be a one-off as the staff didn't seem that keen to see him prosecuted, which presumably wouldn't have been the case if he made a habit of it.  It's not like he'd have far to go if he wanted to.

Archived