Daft Daphne is at it again

hissingsid

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Holte End said:

When the 1.5 million Syrian refuges in  Lebanon  were told that 30 of them might be taken to the Isle of Man they started trying to return to Syria.

were told that 30 of them might be taken to the Isle of Man " to resurface douglas promenade" they started trying to return to Syria.

5 hours ago, LightBulb said:

were told that 30 of them might be taken to the Isle of Man " to resurface douglas promenade" they started trying to return to Syria.

It hard to see why we have such an issue with Syrians though when we tolerate complete wastes of space like this:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=43954&headline=Man%20was%20abusive%20to%20hospital%20staff&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2018

I assume an EU citizen or ‘key worker’ from elsewhere for work permit purposes who gets full rights to live here, gets a nice council house, probably gets benefits on top with which he can fund a substantial alcohol problem, and then to top it off he goes around abusing hospital staff when he gets free hospital treatment for being drunk just round the corner from the council house we provide him with. 

Agreed, nothing against anyone but these Syrians are vulnerable so it is being said, we cannot look after our own vulnerable people, has anyone else noticed how many suicides there seem to be in the last few years, it is a tragedy and I have no figures but It seems to me an awful lot for a small Island.   The Island has become a two tiered society the haves and the have nots and if it was not the the Salvation Army who do a great job and the food banks goodness knows how some people would get by.   How would they get by I doubt they speak English so jobs would be a problem and there are actually not a lot of jobs going at the moment unless you are into IT or a care worker.

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Agreed, nothing against anyone but these Syrians are vulnerable so it is being said, we cannot look after our own vulnerable people, has anyone else noticed how many suicides there seem to be in the last few years, it is a tragedy and I have no figures but It seems to me an awful lot for a small Island.   The Island has become a two tiered society the haves and the have nots and if it was not the the Salvation Army who do a great job and the food banks goodness knows how some people would get by.   How would they get by I doubt they speak English so jobs would be a problem and there are actually not a lot of jobs going at the moment unless you are into IT or a care worker.

Have you not heard we have many thousands of job vacancies that we are unable to fill!

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

No, I thought it was about 600 at the last count and there were 500 on the dole, not IT experts apparently.

They're unemployable largely though. I bet even between bouts of binge drinking and abusing hospital workers providing him with treatment for free even Mr Paulinho Dos Santos is likely to have a job. Never advertise a job down the job centre as the conveyer belt of losers you have to deal with is incredible. Syrians would at least likely be hard working and want to improve themselves. 

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

They're unemployable largely though. I bet even between bouts of binge drinking and abusing hospital workers providing him with treatment for free even Mr Paulinho Dos Santos is likely to have a job. Never advertise a job down the job centre as the conveyer belt of losers you have to deal with is incredible. Syrians would at least likely be hard working and want to improve themselves. 

Don’t judge everyone by your standards...

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It hard to see why we have such an issue with Syrians though when we tolerate complete wastes of space like this:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=43954&headline=Man%20was%20abusive%20to%20hospital%20staff&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2018

I assume an EU citizen or ‘key worker’ from elsewhere for work permit purposes who gets full rights to live here, gets a nice council house, probably gets benefits on top with which he can fund a substantial alcohol problem, and then to top it off he goes around abusing hospital staff when he gets free hospital treatment for being drunk just round the corner from the council house we provide him with. 

It always amazes me how intelligent people blindly repeat the sort of nonsense they read in the British papers about benefits and so on and assume that (a) it's true(it usually isn't) and (b) that it applies to the Isle of Man as well.  In this particular case it doesn't take long to discover that the main form of benefit, Income Support, has a five year (continuous) IOM residential qualification and that you need ten continuous years on the Island to qualify for local authority housing (that doesn't mean you get it, just that they won't even look at you if you're not).

This indeed is why Caine's idea of taking Syrian (or any other sort) of refugees is impractical.  There isn't the legal framework to deal with them and there is no means of providing them with financial or housing support.

Archived