Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

La Colombe

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

There isn't a need. 

Fair comment, there isn't.

The longest and straightest roads in the UK which are 3 ( or in some areas 4) times wider than our roads with slipway entrances/exits tare limited to 70mph. How can it be right that on a single carriageway stretch of road such as between Peel and St John's with blind entrances along the way that you can go as fast as you like?

It's absolutely nuts. 

11 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

The longest and straightest roads in the UK which are 3 ( or in some areas 4) times wider than our roads with slipway entrances/exits tare limited to 70mph. How can it be right that on a single carriageway stretch of road such as between Peel and St John's with blind entrances along the way that you can go as fast as you like?

It's absolutely nuts. 

now explain how an autobahn with NO speed limit doesn't work.

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

now explain how an autobahn with NO speed limit doesn't work.

German Autobahns work very well. They are mostly 2 lane and most now carry an advisory speed limit . Oh and the fatality rate is approx 3.8 deaths per billion kilometers compared with  2.0 per billion in the UK . Just about double the UK death rate.

It is a bit of misconception that the autobahn is a quasi-racetrack with no speed limits. The reality is a significant proportion of the network is subject to speed limits (generally 120 or 130 kph – ca. 75 or 80 mph). Unrestricted sections tend to in more isolated locations where the traffic is lighter. You do get people driving at high speeds but the reality is that you normally can’t keep that speed up for long without meeting other traffic or hitting a speed restriction. I think the significant increase in fuel consumption at high speed is also a factor.

In terms of driving standards, I find the Germans to be good at lane discipline but somewhat prone to tailgating. In the last few weeks I’ve seen three accidents that must have been down to driving too close together on the stretch of autobahn (not unrestricted) I drive every day.

"Concerns about the Island's roads were raised by those taking part in the survey, as 47% feel speeding is a problem, with those living in the parishes of German and Patrick most concerned by speed. 54% aren't happy with the enforcement of traffic laws, but this rises to 73% in Maughold and Lezayre.

Walkers and car drivers generally feel safe using the Island's roads, but cyclists and motorbike riders didn't score safety on the roads as highly, with cyclists in particular raising concerns - rating the roads less than 2 out of 4 for safety."

From the scarcely believable survey that trust in the government has dropped to it's lowest point since the survey began.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/trust-in-isle-of-man-government-falls/

15 hours ago, La Colombe said:

There isn't a need. 

15 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

It's absolutely nuts. 

I agree, it's not a need, I should have said desire to speed. The availability of a track could temper that desire and improve driving skills.

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree, it's not a need, I should have said desire to speed. The availability of a track could temper that desire and improve driving skills.

And negate any reason for coming here....

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Not really P.K. Most people who come here are sensible and not wishing to be caught up in accidents caused by the minority of idiots!

The accidents are in effect caused by the government's road strategy. It creates and encourages the use of conditions which will inevitably lead to serious incidents involving horrendous injuries and deaths. It's a handy scapegoat I suppose, putting the blame on a minority of idiots. Even the police do this with their tweets about people running out of talent. But it doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. You create the conditions that are created on the island for petrolheads and people will die. Any idiot can predict that. 

31 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

The accidents are in effect caused by the government's road strategy. It creates and encourages the use of conditions which will inevitably lead to serious incidents involving horrendous injuries and deaths. It's a handy scapegoat I suppose, putting the blame on a minority of idiots. Even the police do this with their tweets about people running out of talent. But it doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. You create the conditions that are created on the island for petrolheads and people will die. Any idiot can predict that. 

I think the fact is that many of our roads are not suited to modern vehicular traffic. There just isn't the room due to the ever increasing size of cars. It's not just 'petrolheads' who cause or are involved in accidents and to be fair, those who are interested in driving and take it seriously are far less likely to be involved in collisions. Most accidents seem to be either youngsters driving too quickly, as they do, and people driving, or riding, without due care and attention. 

Archived