Lack Of Road Safety Strategy...

La Colombe

I agree with La Colombe to a degree here. There is an element of negligence, particularly in allowing young inexperienced boy racers onto public roads without speed limits. There is an inevitability about death and serious injury on the Island's roads. It's a trade-off that is made with the full knowledge and experience of history. Who benefits ?  

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I agree with La Colombe to a degree here. There is an element of negligence, particularly in allowing young inexperienced boy racers onto public roads without speed limits. There is an inevitability about death and serious injury on the Island's roads. It's a trade-off that is made with the full knowledge and experience of history. Who benefits ?  

A strategy will also need to change the culture. Part of that will be putting down the markers as to where the limits and expectations are in respect of speed. 

As I've said before, speed limits aren't going to be a panacea for everything. They have to be considered as part of a tool kit to reduce casualties. If a route assessment says "Nah, its OK to leave people to their own devices on this stretch", then that is fine. 

....nah, 60 limit for me outside built up areas otherwise the absolutely crazy, weird existing speed limits will continue such as no speed limit outside my old house which was on a twisty, windy lane that was too narrow for two trucks to pass each other............30, urban, 60 everywhere else.................

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

I wonder how the IoM's fatality rate compares with other territories, taking into account the specific mix of road types and vehicles here?

I was told by a road safety campaigner that the IOM accident rate is around double that of the worst county in the UK (South Glamorgan, I think). Not sure where the figures were from, or which period that was in relation to. 

www.roadcrashindex.org is quite interesting

15 hours ago, flaps said:

I was told by a road safety campaigner that the IOM accident rate is around double that of the worst county in the UK (South Glamorgan, I think). Not sure where the figures were from, or which period that was in relation to. 

www.roadcrashindex.org is quite interesting

That road crash index site is very interesting Flaps, thanks. 

Annoyingly I couldn't see much info on how they collate the data, it just gives a rather vague 2013-2015 (does that mean 2 years?).

However, for the sake of argument, back of a fag packet, it shows that Cornwall, which has basically the same population density as IOM (150ish per sq.km), similar demography and infrastructure to the IOM (as close as pretty much anywhere else in the UK I would say for comparison sake, especially with their regular influx of road based tourists - others could be looked at), had 55 fatal accidents in this assumed 2 year period - for a population of roughly 540,000 gives a rate of 1 in 9818 I think. 

As far as I can make out the IOM had an average of 5 fatalities per year in this period, so for a population of 84,000ish that would give a rate of 1 in 8400 over the same two years?

IOM is therefore worse than Cornwall on this very rough estimate, but not massively different. Cornwall is ranked 67th out of 78 in the UK, so near the bottom. 

But what does this mean for the road strategy / speed limit argument? Anyone who's ever driven in Cornwall will know it is one of the most stringently policed counties in the UK, speed limits and speed cameras everywhere. It's the only place I've ever been booked for speeding - by an unmarked car! 

Personally I don't think more speed limits would have any effect on the IOM if they were policed at the current rate. I drive a lot (a lot for someone who does not commute in to Douglas), and I cannot remember the last time I saw a speed trap. I assume it is correct that they've fallen foul of the financial knife. It would be interesting to know what the actual statistics were on the IOM in terms of causes, because in my head of all the recent fatal accidents I can think of less than half were caused purely by speeding - it's difficult to google for this as you just get all the TT related stuff. Anecdotally the majority at the moment seem to be caused by people not paying enough attention - I think a crack down on phone use would have a greater effect than speed traps. 

A reduced national speed limit and speed cameras should be introduced. I can't think of a valid argument against them proposed by anyone who just doesn't like the idea of being caught out.

That aside they aren't a panacea. I think driving standards on the Island are low and a part of that is down to the fact that many people believe their chances of being pinged are low.

How does our drink driving rate compare to the UK I wonder?

It is not that difficult to Google this topic ...

If you use search with 'isle of man fatal road accidents', then you will get a lot of TT related hits.

If you search with '-tt isle of man fatal road accidents', then Google will ignore pages with 'tt' on them. You can use '-' to get rid of all sorts of rubbish.

1 hour ago, Gee Cee said:

If you use search with 'isle of man fatal road accidents', then you will get a lot of TT related hits.

If you search with '-tt isle of man fatal road accidents', then Google will ignore pages with 'tt' on them. You can use '-' to get rid of all sorts of rubbish.

You're going to have to explain that a bit more. 

It doesn't seem to work.

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 11.04.57.png

3 hours ago, Gee Cee said:

isle of man road traffic fatalities

https://www.google.com/search?q=isle+of+man+road+traffic+fatalities&oq=isle+of+man+road+traffic+fatalities&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.10126j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

12 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

What risk assessment do you base 100mph on, and why?

Serious question - not trying to point score. I'm genuinely interested. 

Even as a biker....if the Mountain road was in the UK it would more than likely have a 50 or 60 limit on it. Restricted vision for overtaking, even on the "straight" Mountain Mile section, blind bends, the criteria go on and on. Think of roads up through Scotland for equivalents?

Except of course for the DOI van who overtook me in the car yesterday, as I was doing 60, as though I was stood still... :ban:

Archived