Isle of Man Brexit headlines

NoTail

1 hour ago, woody2 said:

no.....

most food imported that shows up as imported from the eu already comes from outside the eu.....

the difference will be that food passing through the eu won't have duty/tariffs applied in a eu member state.....

the uk will get the benefit of the duty/tariffs......

so fruit coming from egypt via italy or salad coming from morocco via spain will arrive duty/tariff free.....

that's the saving.......

http://www.invest.gov.ma/?Id=77&lang=en

Lots of tomatoes come from Morocco. Current terms of trade are relieved by a free trade agreement between Morocco and the EU. That will lapse, I do not know what happens then.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Kitten Mittens said:

It was less then month before that he addressed Brexit as one of the Island's 'greatest challenges'. I must've been completely wrong about him if in less than a month he has managed to solve arguably the Island's biggest challenge. :lol:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=43433&headline=Brexit presents biggest challenge - Quayle&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018

My apologies, Stinky!

No need to apologise to me. It's howard that you slighted. He had this in the bag 2 months before even that.

https://www.gov.im/news/2018/aug/23/isle-of-man-continuing-to-prepare-for-brexit/

* Tongue in cheek post..... 

Can't we do a Manxit and get the hell out of the EU separately judging by what a complete clusterfuck economic disaster it appears it is going to be. 

We could join another continent.  I'm voting for Africa, we could be North North Africa.  Just a bit colder and less bomby.  Plus the governments of most African countries would make ours look like a beacon of competency! 

Lots of tomatoes come from Morocco. Current terms of trade are relieved by a free trade agreement between Morocco and the EU. That will lapse, I do not know what happens then.

Oh, it will be fine Philip. Woody says all these trade agreements with all of the rest of the world are ready to go. :rolleyes:

So that's tomatoes apparently sorted from March from just one country that have no tariff on at the moment anyway. Anything else? 

It may all be sorted one day (could be up to 50 years according to charlatan-in-chief Jake)  but exactly when that will be is anyone's guess just like the rest of the brexit issues.

3 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

As Harold once said, "the £ in your pocket is still worth a £" .

Unfortunately every other country now thinks it's worth less when it arrives in their pocket.

Even if the mythical benefits above happen (some might give a saving and some might be more expensive) the £ value is the big gotcha for all of us. Denial of brexit's contribution  to its drop in value is delusional.

Of course! Thank you, Project Fear. Currency fluctuations are driven totally by investor sentiment and it's easy to spook them.

4 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

As Harold once said, "the £ in your pocket is still worth a £" .

Unfortunately every other country now thinks it's worth less when it arrives in their pocket.

Even if the mythical benefits above happen (some might give a saving and some might be more expensive) the £ value is the big gotcha for all of us. Denial of brexit's contribution  to its drop in value is delusional.

its happening now......

goods passing through the eu don't get duty/tariffs.....

uk loses out as a eu member.....

the pound fall is down to the interest rate rises in the usa, the china slowdown, the debt ridden euro and the risk of a lefty government in the uk, the uk exit was priced into the pound years ago.......

Of course! Thank you, Project Fear. Currency fluctuations are driven totally by investor sentiment and it's easy to spook them

So the precipitous drop immediately after the vote and maintained for over 2.5 years is just caused by people "talking it down" ? There are no other forces involved? 

So it would still be at pre-vote levels more or less if we had only been more positive about the huge issues that were then described, ignored and are now being proven?

I think you're in denial. 

5 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

So the precipitous drop immediately after the vote and maintained for over 2.5 years is just caused by people "talking it down" ? There are no other forces involved? 

So it would still be at pre-vote levels more or less if we had only been more positive about the huge issues that were then described, ignored and are now being proven?

I think you're in denial. 

it hasn't been maintained over 2.5 years

everytime it goes up the boe feel the need to make a statement....

nothing has been proven except carney has been wrong every single time......

the pound fall is down to the interest rate rises in the usa, the china slowdown, the debt ridden euro and the risk of a lefty government in the uk, the uk exit was priced into the pound years ago.......

:lol:

His mate Crispin Odey did very well out of predicting what would happen after brexit. No wonder he was getting you to back the idea. Do you think Crispin would agree with your reasons above :lol:

IMG_20181221_172400.jpg

it hasn't been maintained over 2.5 years

everytime it goes up the boe feel the need to make a statement....

nothing has been proven except carney has been wrong every single time......

It has hovered between 1.10 and 1.15 for the vast majority of the time since the referendum, so it has maintained its low level since the day after the vote.

Archived