Isle of Man Brexit headlines

NoTail

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, where exactly is the island in the Brexit negotiations?

Do we still have protocol three? I don't think we do but what happens with our dealings with the EU if that is not in place?

We are at the end of the supply line so where does that leave us?

With the new fisheries law imposed by the UK and the additional regs. agreed with the EU how are our fisheries left?

So many questions concerning our future but not a whimper from our elected for public direction and peace of mind.

What's happening, (if anything)?

27 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Our lords and masters will have to read the 1200 page report first, but at the moment the civil servants are all on holiday. Then they'll have to precis it into the Ladybird version for Howard and the politicos. I wouldn't expect anything meaningful before the second week in January at the earliest.

January...? 😂

By the time it's converted into bold print Dr Seuss with attendant bright pastel pictures, read and understood it'll be June...and that's just for the civil servants..

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s a tynwald meeting on Wednesday to discuss Brexit & COVID restrictions, cutting it a bit fine to approve. Guernsey & Jersey parliament are meeting tomorrow but suppose our lit need more holidays 

Our lot will only rubber stamp what Guernsey adapt. 

44 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Maybe Angela Mercel would get the Steamy over to give them a good talking to.

Merkel’s grandfather probably bombed the Ben my Chree at Dunkirk.

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Then they'll have to precis it into the Ladybird version for Howard and the politicos.

Jacques said Stan could sell his meat in Paris if Jacques and his friends could fish near Stan’s village. 
Gunter said Paul could drive his big blue lorry to Stuttgart and collect toasters if Gunter could send his cars to Paul’s friend Brian in Birmingham.

Geoff is sad because he used to sell his roses in Madrid but now he has too many complicated forms to fill in so he told Julie and Karen that they had to go home as he couldn’t give them a job anymore.

Walter is happy because he can wave his little Union flag as no Polish people will come to his town any more. But Walter will be sad when his mummy dies in the care home because all the nice Polish ladies had to leave.

19 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Jacques said Stan could sell his meat in Paris if Jacques and his friends could fish near Stan’s village. 
Gunter said Paul could drive his big blue lorry to Stuttgart and collect toasters if Gunter could send his cars to Paul’s friend Brian in Birmingham.

Geoff is sad because he used to sell his roses in Madrid but now he has too many complicated forms to fill in so he told Julie and Karen that they had to go home as he couldn’t give them a job anymore.

Walter is happy because he can wave his little Union flag as no Polish people will come to his town any more. But Walter will be sad when his mummy dies in the care home because all the nice Polish ladies had to leave.

It's not Walter. It's "Rog".

5 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Our lords and masters will have to read the 1200 page report first, but at the moment the civil servants are all on holiday. Then they'll have to precis it into the Ladybird version for Howard and the politicos. I wouldn't expect anything meaningful before the second week in January at the earliest.

Janet and Juan books more like. 

4 hours ago, NoTail said:

Serious question. If Tynwald really object to the deal, could they actually scupper the whole thing? Maybe Angela Mercel would get the Steamy over to give them a good talking to.

Do you seriously expect the UK to listen to the IOMs concerns? It may be dealt a crap hand, but how it’s politicos actually deal with it will either define it or sink it. 

9 hours ago, NoTail said:

Serious question. If Tynwald really object to the deal, could they actually scupper the whole thing? Maybe Angela Mercel would get the Steamy over to give them a good talking to.

The stark truth is the Island has absolutely no sway in what is about to happen, nor the consequences. That was what annoyed me about HQ swanning off to London every 5 minutes. It was never going to make a blind bit of difference. 

Like the UK, there will he wins and losses. It might get more difficult for some companies to operate as it seems the EU railed against competitive tax proposals by the UK - which I happen to think might have been it’s saviour. That said, if IOM based companies can continue to effectively operate with tax advantages then it might be OK. But we’ve already seen some migration by the likes of Pokerstars. 

I suppose it is going to be this time next year before we really know what the new world order looks like. 

Archived