Isle of Man Brexit headlines

NoTail

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get this alarmist rhetoric . So according to Quayle we maybe won't have fruit and veg etc . So those selling it now presumably fir a profit are now going to not sell it and leave it to rot . No there not . If there's a market wherever it is they will want to sell there produce 

I guess that most continental foodstuffs that end up for sale in Ireland normally pass through the UK as part of an existing supply chain? Is this going to change post-brexit, shipped direct to Dublin? Could we not just source it that way? Opportunity for Mezeron or someone? Not that it matters a jot, it's a load of bollocks anyway, we'll still get the same stuff, just with an extra bit of uk import duty on it

It's all a handy distraction to focus blame for problematic events on anyone other than themselves, redirecting the spotlight. Quayle has been making such announcements for a good while, giving the impression he knew what was going on even before Westminster did, to create the impression he and the HoK's were a steady hand on the tiller. Yeah, the postman, the spark, the apple-cheeked educator, that woman in a tweed skirt and sensible shoes with a penchant for unabashed virtuosity, et al, have all been working extremely hard behind the scenes using their matchless experience of world politics to protect our interests.

Thank fuck. 

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I don't get this alarmist rhetoric . So according to Quayle we maybe won't have fruit and veg etc . So those selling it now presumably fir a profit are now going to not sell it and leave it to rot . No there not . If there's a market wherever it is they will want to sell there produce 

No need to worry. We MUST have vast amounts of our own fruit and veg. Phil Gawne ensured that it is so by granting local farmers vast amounts of money with CCS to guarantee the supply so that we "wouldn't starve", quote/unquote Hansard.

Thank God for his foresight.

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

aka trade theory......

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I guess that most continental foodstuffs that end up for sale in Ireland normally pass through the UK as part of an existing supply chain? Is this going to change post-brexit, shipped direct to Dublin? Could we not just source it that way? Opportunity for Mezeron or someone? Not that it matters a jot, it's a load of bollocks anyway, we'll still get the same stuff, just with an extra bit of uk import duty on it

but no eu duty, so will cost less.......

have a look in tescos......

veg =uk

fruit= egypt and non eu countries

salad= morocco

12 minutes ago, mojomonkey said:

Demand normally pushes prices up though, doesn’t it? Is there no possibility that all those non-EU fruit and vegetable producing countries will see their opportunity?

This is the 'smart' thinking that got us into this mess. The increased costs won't be profit for any one individual company, it will be consumed in the cost of doing business. Prices will go up, but no-one will get richer, if anything, margins will tighten.

Archived