Paddy Ashdown...

La Colombe

16 hours ago, gettafa said:

Only humans that are disloyal, hypocritical etc.

That's humanity though. Let he who is without sin, etc. None of us is perfect. As has been said, open marriages work great for some people. If it works for them and their outside partners and nobody gets hurt, who are the rest of us to moralise?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

He's guaranteeing himself the 'loser' moniker for a lifetime by fleeing to California

Clegg played it completely wrong. His LibDem manifesto was to scrap uni charges, BUT he didn't win the election. He should have said he was forming a coalition in the national interest and he would promise best efforts in the coalition negotiation but that the previous manifesto was unachievable given the reality of his party being very much the junior partner. Instead, like the idiot he is, he came out in full mea culpa mode and took full responsibility for abandoning the pledge. They did get some good stuff through in the coalition such as the doubling of personal tax allowances. However, he didn't shout about that, and let the Tories take credit for what was a flagship LibDem policy. Loser is right.

5 hours ago, paul's got wright said:

So you always remember him having an affair with his secretary. And, to you, he seemed remarkably genuine, honest, and a good bloke?

Have i got that correct wrighty?

Genuine and honest in his political and professional life. I don’t think that having an extra-marital affair negates all that. I remember plenty of other things about him too, such as his efforts in the Balkans. The Paddy Pantsdown name though does stick in the mind thanks to the Sun. 

3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Austerity is when you cut benefits for the deserving poor to fund tax cuts for the rich

The fact that you are printing money all the while is not really relevent

what benefits have been cut.........

the bill goes up every year.......

labour did the unfunded spend spend spend on benefits......

33 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Yes, biologically we are animals. But we have a soul.

32 minutes ago, woolley said:

Hearsay.

29 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Let's just agree to disagree on that one.

OK, that's probably wise. The trouble I could have saved myself if PK and I had reached a similar compromise over on the Brexit threads.

Actually, I would LOVE to believe in the reality of a human soul. Who wouldn't vote for eternal life of the soul without the hassle of these pesky bodies that fall apart after a while? I'm not a dyed in the wool denier/atheist, and I know that some will say that we have to have faith, but I just can't get past the science that tells me all of our impulses and our consciousness are electrochemical. How it all started, of course, nobody knows.

To be clear, I'm not some Bible Thumper or religionist of any kind. I'm open minded about spiritual type stuff and simultaneously a skeptic and have a lot of time and sympathy for skeptics like Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens (RIP), Sam Harris, Steven Weinberg, and the rest. I fully accept that I could be totally off my head in my belief in a soul. You won't find me opposing any steps to promote secularism.

48 minutes ago, woolley said:

Actually, I would LOVE to believe in the reality of a human soul. Who wouldn't vote for eternal life of the soul without the hassle of these pesky bodies that fall apart after a while? I'm not a dyed in the wool denier/atheist, and I know that some will say that we have to have faith, but I just can't get past the science that tells me all of our impulses and our consciousness are electrochemical. How it all started, of course, nobody knows.

31 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

To be clear, I'm not some Bible Thumper or religionist of any kind. I'm open minded about spiritual type stuff and simultaneously a skeptic and have a lot of time and sympathy for skeptics like Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens (RIP), Sam Harris, Steven Weinberg, and the rest. I fully accept that I could be totally off my head in my belief in a soul. You won't find me opposing any steps to promote secularism.

A game of football has broken out in the trenches, how seasonal. 

9 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

A game of football has broken out in the trenches, how seasonal. 

Sorry to disappoint. I pulled out after the warm up. :thumbsup: :xmas:

I'm happy for people to believe whatever they like provided they don't a) shove it down the throats of others by word, deed or terrorism, or b) present it as proven fact.

Merry Christmas!

56 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

I am genuinely intrigued, Rushen. You say you are not a religionist of any kind. Presumably belief in a soul means belief in some sort of after death existence. What is your view on the form this would take? I'm not going to kick it down. Just interested.

Archived