Paddy Ashdown...

La Colombe

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I always say that what is needed and what is wanted are two very different things.

I am sure we all want to spread it about as much as possible, but what is needed to hold a partnership together is loyalty and faithfulness.

Two very different things and a million miles apart.

It's worth comparing to cultures where multiple wives are a cultural or religious tradition. The women in these marriages seem to be aware of what they're getting into so it's expected and accepted. Western society sees it differently, that the vows and devotion to love, honour and respect to one partner alone carries more specialty, more significance in our expected and accepted, judeo-christian tradition. It might be cultural arrogance to assume that our tradition is somehow better and more decent than others. Comes down to personal belief.

I reckon some straying partners do it when they really just want to get caught because they can't find the words to explain themselves and save their relationship. Easier to do it cut-and-run fashion rather than more rounds of ineffectual emotional dirthering and mumbled reasoning, thus wasting even more time on a hiding-to-nothing relationship. Betrayal carries finality. 

Not everyone's geared for it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Not at all, just thinking about the damage that could have been caused many many years ago if one had been less restrained.

not all cultures have only one wife, and by nature humanity isn't designed for it.

12 hours ago, wrighty said:

Seemed like a good bloke, and remarkably genuine and honest for a politician.  I will always remember the Sun's headline about him when he had the affair with his secretary - "It's Paddy Pantsdown".  Gotta love the Soaraway Sun :P

So you always remember him having an affair with his secretary. And, to you, he seemed remarkably genuine, honest, and a good bloke?

Have i got that correct wrighty?

10 hours ago, quilp said:

Are humans naturally inclined toward monogamy? In nature, the male's of the species usually have more than one breeding-partner in the pursuit of spreading his genes far and wide and will attempt to impregnate as many females as they can. It's instinctual in nature so does that hormonal urge stop at humans? Is it love-seeking or just good old lust that drives the unfaithful? Open relationships seem to work for some and many couples will testify to open sexual-diversity being the saviour of a relationship in freefall between two people who cannot bear to part.

Don't get married and don't swear an oath if you can't keep to it. If you can get away with stocking your dick where your basic desires tell you then that is a choice.

May as well disintegrate civilised society if we are going down that route though.

I can't help comparing him to Nick Clegg. Paddy served his country all his life and would never have abandoned the Liberal party and run off to California to work for Zuckerberg and Facebook.

He came along at the right time when Thatcherism had done so much damage to the social fabric of Britain. A decent bloke who people could trust and rally behind, and who they felt was on their side.

His documentary on the Cockleshell Heroes was beautifully done and highly recommended if you haven't seen it. 

Archived