Crews extinguish Smart car fire in south

LightBulb

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

IOM today -

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=45004&headline=Micro car blaze%3A with video&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

Describe it as a " ’twist-and-go’ Aixam micro car" which makes it sound like a scooter.

I’m out in Catalonia at present. It’s not a smart, but a lightweight micro car with plastic body. They have scooter engines and can be driven without a driving licence here. Lots of older people in the country villages drive them. Wandering all over the road. Bit like driving in the IoM really.

Several makes. Aixam, Ligier ( as in F1! ).

The twist & go refers to the CVT transmission, belt and two cones. Clunks.

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m out in Catalonia at present. It’s not a smart, but a lightweight micro car with plastic body. They have scooter engines and can be driven without a driving licence here. Lots of older people in the country villages drive them. Wandering all over the road. Bit like driving in the IoM really.

Several makes. Aixam, Ligier ( as in F1! ).

The twist & go refers to the CVT transmission, belt and two cones. Clunks.

But wasn`t this a smart "electric car" ( no petrol engine )?

35 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

But wasn`t this a smart "electric car" ( no petrol engine )?

It was an Aixam. Not a Smart. Do Aixam do battery powered vehicles?

Looks as if they do.

https://www.aixam.com/en/

Hosever the story says the fire started in, and spread from, the engine compartment.

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Panda link doesn't seem to work, John. But still marginal-to-poor for adult occupant/driver protection indicated on the Aixam specs?

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Panda link doesn't seem to work, John. But still marginal-to-poor for adult occupant/driver protection indicated on the Aixam specs?

My view is that they’re death traps. Not even fitted with air bags. No safety frame.

Archived