Minister says benefits outweigh cost of Jersey trip

gettafa

Manx Radio

I'm not doubting this was a worthwhile trip but we will probably never know until such time as each globetrotter provides a written statement on their trip and the benefits to the Isle of Man.

Minister boot reckoned the modest cost was about £200-250 per person. Well that is just bollocks. The cost must have been far more. For example who paid for the wages/pension/NI or these people when they were traipsing it up? Or doesn't money from the magic money tree count as a cost?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio

I'm not doubting this was a worthwhile trip but we will probably never know until such time as each globetrotter provides a written statement on their trip and the benefits to the Isle of Man.

Minister boot reckoned the modest cost was about £200-250 per person. Well that is just bollocks. The cost must have been far more. For example who paid for the wages/pension/NI or these people when they were traipsing it up? Or doesn't money from the magic money tree count as a cost?

I am actually doubting it was a worthwhile trip.

45 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Won’t this be exes? The CPA pays the transport an accommodation costs does it not?

Typical ex public servant Derek, sorry. How much do we pay into CPA against how much do we get out? Those tickets cost some tax payers, somewhere. Where that was is immaterial.

I’m not against CPA or other such organisations, indeed I’m all in favour of work placements, job swaps, by public servants between jurisdictions. Secondments are good learning and improvement opportunities. And it’s not just one way.

You can’t just ignore the transport costs because someone else pays. Neither can you ignore the cost of the public service wages when they are busy travelling and meeting, rather than doing their actual jobs.

What I want to see is total transparency. True cost. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Typical ex public servant Derek, sorry. How much do we pay into CPA against how much do we get out? Those tickets cost some tax payers, somewhere. Where that was is immaterial.

I’m not against CPA or other such organisations, indeed I’m all in favour of work placements, job swaps, by public servants between jurisdictions. Secondments are good learning and improvement opportunities. And it’s not just one way.

You can’t just ignore the transport costs because someone else pays. Neither can you ignore the cost of the public service wages when they are busy travelling and meeting, rather than doing their actual jobs.

What I want to see is total transparency. True cost. 

What the hell is that supposed to mean John? “Ex public servant” I was a copper. A crown servant, not a civil servant. 

My view on this is absolutely, totally on par with yours. It’s a bloody junket for which nobody sees a cost/benefit analysis. I wasn’t ignoring anything, just trying to work out how the Baron can do a few days away in Jersey for just £250. Like you say, directly or indirectly, ‘we’ have footed the bill.

I love you to bits buddy  believe it or not, but sometimes you can be a bit of an arse!

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

What the hell is that supposed to mean John? “Ex public servant” I was a copper. A crown servant, not a civil servant. 

My view on this is absolutely, totally on par with yours. It’s a bloody junket for which nobody sees a cost/benefit analysis. I wasn’t ignoring anything, just trying to work out how the Baron can do a few days away in Jersey for just £250. Like you say, directly or indirectly, ‘we’ have footed the bill.

I love you to bits buddy  believe it or not, but sometimes you can be a bit of an arse!

Not rising to your bait. Just re read what you posted and I replied to, and think how it looks to people whose salary doesn’t come from the taxpayer.

22 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

His stipend would have been more than that. Add the bennies like pension etc and it's a sick joke.

On us....

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

Not rising to your bait. Just re read what you posted and I replied to, and think how it looks to people whose salary doesn’t come from the taxpayer.

How it looks to you, maybe?

I thought you knew me better than that. There is far too much money (and time) wasted on this sort of stuff. The questions I always asked myself were “ What am I bringing back from this?” “Can I afford to be away from my post for that time?” And then based on both of those points, “Does this represent value for money in the expenditure of public funds?”

I wasn’t away much!

13 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We always regarded police as local council employees not crown servants!

25 minutes ago, trench12 said:

We always regarded police as local council employees not crown servants!

Different in IoM, they are employed via a department of central government, Del is correct that technically, in Manx law they are Crown servants, which is why I very carefully used the word public servant, rather than civil servant. Their salary comes from public funds. my term covers Dr's, nurses, other health service workers, teachers in the public sector, plus local and central government employees and the uniformed civilian and military services.

Archived