Minister says benefits outweigh cost of Jersey trip

gettafa

What you say is true of course, but in such meetings you are generally going to be looking after number one, and seeing what's in it for you. And the buzz of networking. 

Too many politicians see themselves as being in a career to look after themselves, to puff themselves up, become a Minister, perhaps even a Chief Minister. Maybe they make a token effort that they are looking after the greater good and their electorate and that boring stuff.

These trips are simply ego trips. And rewards for coming on-side.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I get the call for video conferencing but sometimes things get said face to face that you wouldn't cover using remote technology. Many a long distance meeting has been worthwhile for me over a pint after the main meeting. I imagine with everything that is going on it might be wise to see the whites of your counterpart eyes and discuss topics quite frankly face to face. I'm not justifying nine people doing it but a handful at this moment in time needn't be something to get your knickers in a twist about.  

The issue for me is twofold.

Firstly it's clearly completely out of control. There seems no justification process at all. There should be to prevent totally stupid jollies like swanning off to The South Atlantic and then banging in really petty, penny-pinching expense claims. Instead there should be clear objectives BEFORE IT GETS SIGNED OFF. The person to sign it off? The CM. And he had better have bloody good reasons why he did so.

Secondly a part of the process should be to write up what was discussed, the decisions agreed and made, the outputs etc etc. But instead of feedback you get zip, zero, zilch, nada.

Not good enough.

1 minute ago, gettafa said:

Aye, but the Chief Minister loves these jollies more than anyone. New Zealand, Spain and all that immersion in Westminster with the big boys.

Sure. But the rules should be the same for everyone.

Justification before he goes and feedback on return.

If the public cannot know what happens to 8.5 million a year in countryside care grants then I doubt anyone is going to bother to justify a few thousand on trips like this.

We all need to be quiet and pay the tax ! at least thats their attitude !

3 hours ago, Lxxx said:

I get the call for video conferencing but sometimes things get said face to face that you wouldn't cover using remote technology. Many a long distance meeting has been worthwhile for me over a pint after the main meeting. I imagine with everything that is going on it might be wise to see the whites of your counterpart eyes and discuss topics quite frankly face to face. I'm not justifying nine people doing it but a handful at this moment in time needn't be something to get your knickers in a twist about.  

I've noticed these junket discussion always go the same way.  Everyone agrees they are just a taxpayer funded jollie and complete waste of money, except for one wheni who pops up and says they are necessary and justified to try and make everyone think he is a very important and worldly business man.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I see Howard was down in London again today, offering wise words to Minister Walker.

Has Minister Walker got cows as well then..?

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

Different in IoM, they are employed via a department of central government, Del is correct that technically, in Manx law they are Crown servants, which is why I very carefully used the word public servant, rather than civil servant. Their salary comes from public funds. my term covers Dr's, nurses, other health service workers, teachers in the public sector, plus local and central government employees and the uniformed civilian and military services.

Don’t forget though that the rozzers are continually reminded who pays their wages. Usually on a Friday and Saturday night around club kicking out time. 

Other areas of public service don’t have that privilege.

56 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It was productive. The CM said so on Twitter. I’ve asked him to expand on that, but as he never responds to Twitter I’ve asked @WalkerWorcester as well.

So you’re the one person who “likes” Howard’s tweets! 

Archived