Minister says benefits outweigh cost of Jersey trip

gettafa

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Booty says there are similarities between the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Ie. neither has a fucking clue what's going to happen.

The similarities are that they're islands surrounded by wet stuff.

Er, that's it.

It's a good job us yokels are a supine and passive lot - simple and gutless to boot. No chance of yellow-vestage on this rock. They can do as they please without fear of dissent. The delay of the law and the arrogance of office. 

16 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

What the hell is that supposed to mean John? “Ex public servant” I was a copper. A crown servant, not a civil servant. 

Whatever you want to call it, the taxpayer was paying your wages. John's point was well made - public servants lose sight of who pays the bills.

17 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

What the hell is that supposed to mean John? “Ex public servant” I was a copper. A crown servant, not a civil servant. 

As you point out yourself, John used the term "public servant", which you were. Why refer to "civil servant", a term John didn't use?

Playing devil's advocate it is a pretty pivotal time in the Crown Dependencies history so I can well understand the need to make sure all the island's are working together to represent each other's joint interests, whether Brexit is or isn't delivered. Quite whether it needs nine people to do that is another matter but the trip itself is probably necessary.

33 minutes ago, quilp said:

Exactly. They have the tech to do it already. 

If it were truly IOM plc then the trip and subsequent costs wouldn't be necessary. Isle of Man Where You Can..... spend money without considering where it all comes from or generally giving a shite for others.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

What can be done with a visit that can't be done via a conferencing facility?

Physically pressing the flesh with opposite numbers?

And browsing the St. Helier shopping malls?

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Fair point....hadn't thought about that :whistling:

In my experience video conferencing is fine and you get everything on  DVD for reference.

The ONLY time you need to face-to-face is to build trust.

Which really does make this farrago a complete and utter waste of time and (other peoples) money.

I get the call for video conferencing but sometimes things get said face to face that you wouldn't cover using remote technology. Many a long distance meeting has been worthwhile for me over a pint after the main meeting. I imagine with everything that is going on it might be wise to see the whites of your counterpart eyes and discuss topics quite frankly face to face. I'm not justifying nine people doing it but a handful at this moment in time needn't be something to get your knickers in a twist about.  

Archived