Planning Appeals

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/planning-appeal-fees-to-rise-by-101/

Planning Appeal costs are increasing by £101 or 58%, in order to pay for a planning inspector. . I feel sorry for democracy and freedom to object - it will be wealthy people able to afford the fees. 

A question is being tabled to the DEFA Minister in the House of Keys on Tuesday 26th February. 

I certainly agree that the cost will push many people away from appealing against planning decisions 

9 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

A question is being tabled to the DEFA Minister in the House of Keys on Tuesday 26th February. 

I certainly agree that the cost will push many people away from appealing against planning decisions 

Do you know who is asking the question ?

16 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Bound to be a giant success seeing as the decision has already been made.

"The amendment to the Town and Country Planning Act will be brought to Tynwald next week, but will not be debated by politicians as it's 'subject to no procedure'."

Planning Appeal and objections are certainly becoming more onerous to lodge.

I see on iomtoady that Crosby Commissioners and residents have noticed that they've now been hit by the new "not an interested party unless you live within 20metres of the boundary" status.

Implemented by Mr Boot's Department last July but not notified to the public until January this year (if yet), as publicised by Trevor Cowin's letter to the Manx Independent a couple of months ago.

Pushing things out of the reach of the plebs?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Planning Appeal and objeections are certainly becoming more onerous.

I see on iomtoady that Crosby Commissioners and residents have noticed that they've now been hit by the new "not an interested party unless you live within 20metres of the boundary" status.

Implemented by Mr Boot's Department last July but not notified to the public until January this year (if yet), as publicised by Trevor Cowin's letter to the Manx Independent a couple of months ago.

Pushing things out of the reach of the plebs?

Too many people objecting so they have to narrow it down as they’re having to work a bit harder if more people put in objections. It’s wrong I think as 20 meters isn’t that far. You could live in the same street as a developmentment and still not be an intersted party. 

20 meters is certainly too close but in Crosby, the new development is in a field! So the objections could/could be nimbyism or about access. I would have thought that the Commissioners would welcome the increase in rates collected!!!

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

20 meters is certainly too close but in Crosby, the new development is in a field! So the objections could/could be nimbyism or about access. I would have thought that the Commissioners would welcome the increase in rates collected!!!

You’ll find the developers will very effectively start using this new 20 meter clause by building 20 meters away from existing dwellings where they can. Odd as it’s counter intuitive to governments wish to not develop as many greenfield sites as presumably if you do a brownfield development where lots of existing housing is you will get lots of interested parties complaining, whereas if you develop out of town far enough away from anyone there’s presumably fuck all anyone can do about it! 

Lesson were learned by Government following the Mount Murray enquiry. 

Those lessons are to suppress all objections and any hope of accountability.

I am sure the world will be beating a hurried march to our door step to learn how a Shop Window Democracy works.

The Isle of Man where you can.

I don't think that Dandara are the developers for the Crosby site but, don't you think that such as they are quite capable of handling any number of objections? I don't think I have ever seen a big development refused on objections?

Perhaps the logic behind the 20 meter rule was to stop close neigbours objecting to something they can't even see from their property??? It is still undemocratic to apply htis rule though!

It was on the news today, several times, that Minister Boote had had his application to build a barn on his land turned down, emphasizing that he was treated the same as any other other applicant....wrong...if some old farmer had had their application turned down it would not have been broadcast as headline news several times and announced with such gratification.    See we are doing our job properly...bollocks the planning department is useless and should be scrapped. Planning should be sorted out by the Commissioners and town council with an independent arbitrator if necessary.    I cannot see why he could not have a barn anyway it is his land, some of the huge sheds in tiny gardens around me are nearly as big as the houses, madness!!!!!just a bit of power wielding by useless civil servants, makes them feel important I suppose.

Archived