Police Cars

LightBulb

4 hours ago, LightBulb said:

No sure about that, i seen him waving his hands a lot, but none of the cars in front of me seem to notice him, and i didn`t either, ( although i did see a few cars in front of me doing a "temperature check" sticking thier fingure up outside just to see how cold it was ) .

You do know how speed check/traps work don’t you?

After all the ‘publicity ‘ over the speed limit on Richmond Hill anyone who gets done for speeding there deserves all they get , I always get a queue behind me as i set my car to 30 when I get to the limit , I can see it annoys some people but tough, I’m not getting done to pacify them ! Just to clarify I’m not some old bugger who deliberately drives slow to annoy people, I enjoy driving and am a confirmed petrol head, my car is a V8 and gets driven as it should where possible, but as I said above it’s been well publicised that the police will be on Richmond Hill 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Supamanx said:

After all the ‘publicity ‘ over the speed limit on Richmond Hill anyone who gets done for speeding there deserves all they get , I always get a queue behind me as i set my car to 30 when I get to the limit , I can see it annoys some people but tough, I’m not getting done to pacify them ! Just to clarify I’m not some old bugger who deliberately drives slow to annoy people, I enjoy driving and am a confirmed petrol head, my car is a V8 and gets driven as it should where possible, but as I said above it’s been well publicised that the police will be on Richmond Hill 

Maybe so, but why don't they just fix the road? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

Excuses excuses!

Are they not between a rock and a hard place though ?.

They could redo the whole road tomorrow in tarmac, but heavy rain will cross the road making some drivers skid or aquaplane.

Or they could resurface with chippings, but because of the temperatures in winter, they may not adhere and do the same as the last "crap" effort, when they all came away and left many bare patches and lots off loose stones flying about.

14 hours ago, LightBulb said:

I came down Ricmond Hill today, and a copper at the home for horses was doing speed checks, not entirley un-expected,  but what i didn`t expect to see was that he was in a brand new un-marked "top of the range" grey touring BMW.

When tynwald granted the Chief Constable an extra £3.5m in his budget, i thought it was to be spent for general policing, and not to be spent on grandio`s police cars.

There are a plethora or other suitable vehicles that are significantly cheaper - it would be interesting to raise an FOI on the cost of all of these high-powered vehicles and how many have been written off..just saying.

The grey Beemer is a 2016 ex demonstrator bought with some mileage on it, early 2017 if I remember correctly. A car I hold in some affection as it was the last police car I ever drove. 

The price paid, believe me, was ridiculously low. In fact, we were set to order an unmarked ST Focus when this came available unexpectedly, and we saved several thousands off what we would have paid even for that. 

I cant see an FOI request ever giving up individual vehicle prices. It would give the overall expenditure over a year perhaps? The manufacturers do very noble deals for the police service, and as soon as you start undermining the integrity of that then it would quickly change. 

Trust me - the cops had some absolutely belting deals on their fleet during the time I served and I’ve no reason to believe that has changed. Down to very hard work on the part of one particularly dedicated individual.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The grey Beemer is a 2016 ex demonstrator bought with some mileage on it, early 2017 if I remember correctly. A car I hold in some affection as it was the last police car I ever drove. 

The price paid, believe me, was ridiculously low. In fact, we were set to order an unmarked ST Focus when this came available unexpectedly, and we saved several thousands off what we would have paid even for that. 

I cant see an FOI request ever giving up individual vehicle prices. It would give the overall expenditure over a year perhaps? The manufacturers do very noble deals for the police service, and as soon as you start undermining the integrity of that then it would quickly change. 

Trust me - the cops had some absolutely belting deals on their fleet during the time I served and I’ve no reason to believe that has changed. Down to very hard work on the part of one particularly dedicated individual.

The BMW having better roadholding and handling characteristics also helps to keep costs down I would think?

Government does have access to some great fleet deals and it makes sense to take advantage of them and change the vehicles regularly to keep value in them. This also reduces running costs. 

Whoever the fleet manager is, is doing a good job in my opinion. I don’t see many brand new cars knocking about, but there are several quite old ones still in use.

Just how old is the silver focus or the Hyundi. Both still going.

I remember the days when it was no problem to buy Sierra Cossies and top of the range Range Rovers etc

I can’t see why anyone would complain about buying another unmarked car that blends in well to do it’s job. Saw it the other week pulling in a white van man. No problems with unmarked cars at all.

21 hours ago, Supamanx said:

COR!!  EIGHT cylinders?  In a V?    Yep,you've confirmed something.