Police Cars

LightBulb

7 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Not so sure, a RWD BMW on summer tyres is going to have lots of issues in snow.

However I'd take good odds on the police maintenance guys putting winter tyres on them which will help a lot.

And of course many BMWs now come with AWD and the nifty little 'traction' option in the driving modes :)

The traction and stability programmed on that car are remarkable. But the simple answer is it likely wouldn’t go out in snow,

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 5:53 PM, Derek Flint said:

The grey Beemer is a 2016 ex demonstrator bought with some mileage on it, early 2017 if I remember correctly. A car I hold in some affection as it was the last police car I ever drove. 

The price paid, believe me, was ridiculously low. In fact, we were set to order an unmarked ST Focus when this came available unexpectedly, and we saved several thousands off what we would have paid even for that. 

I cant see an FOI request ever giving up individual vehicle prices. It would give the overall expenditure over a year perhaps? The manufacturers do very noble deals for the police service, and as soon as you start undermining the integrity of that then it would quickly change. 

Trust me - the cops had some absolutely belting deals on their fleet during the time I served and I’ve no reason to believe that has changed. Down to very hard work on the part of one particularly dedicated individual.

Derek, Do you not concider, fuel, road tax, insurance, depreciation, of the vehicle, and the ( piss off the general public with the new beamer as a police car ) an issue ?

On 2/26/2019 at 6:24 PM, dilligaf said:

Whoever the fleet manager is, is doing a good job in my opinion. I don’t see many brand new cars knocking about, but there are several quite old ones still in use.

Just how old is the silver focus or the Hyundi. Both still going.

I remember the days when it was no problem to buy Sierra Cossies and top of the range Range Rovers etc

I can’t see why anyone would complain about buying another unmarked car that blends in well to do it’s job. Saw it the other week pulling in a white van man. No problems with unmarked cars at all.

And what is wrong with police on push bikes ( they are a hell of a lot cheaper ).

• Haha 1