Police Cars

LightBulb

37 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

When the nearest copper is ten miles away and you’re being burgled/beaten up/whatever then you’ll want the copper to not be on a pushbike. 

if ten miles away then the outcome wouldn't be any different if they arrived by donkey........

4 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Derek, Do you not concider, fuel, road tax, insurance, depreciation, of the vehicle, and the ( piss off the general public with the new beamer as a police car ) an issue ?

The cops will eke every last drop of value out of a car. They shouldn’t be paying road tax (stopped in the 90’s in the UK) as it is effectively money laundering (govt gives out money, money spent with govt). Depreciation is pretty much immaterial considering the prices they are bought at.  Vehicles are all bought for a purpose, and are fit for the job. Traffic cars will ideally be solid, dependable, high performance vehicles. Fuel consumption, all things considered, isn’t bad on that car. 

So no - continue to give them the best we can.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I’m not really into my driving so I won’t claim I know how quickly ten miles can be covered but I suspect that you may be wrong on that.

if someone is beating the crap out of you then it wouldn't make any difference.........

16 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Ten miles in the right car isn’t a long way.

Quite right Derek - I borrowed my friend Kathleen's Honda Jazz and in just under 90 minutes I'd made it from Glen Chass to Laxey.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whatnonsence said:

It was not for the St Johns Ambulance car going like the bat out hell along Gansey well in access of the 30mph limit with all his blues going.

Are these lads qualified to do blue light runs Derek?

You dont actually have to be. The exemption is on the vehicle. 

However, i think theyve got.it covered.

See section on driver training

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://vacancy.sja.org.uk/get/job/file/3797&ved=2ahUKEwjrhIzexf3gAhXjXRUIHQE_CwgQFjAFegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0TgqsB3-81FM2mmdsY10z2