Police Cars

LightBulb

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Whoever the fleet manager is, is doing a good job in my opinion. I don’t see many brand new cars knocking about, but there are several quite old ones still in use.

Just how old is the silver focus or the Hyundi. Both still going.

I remember the days when it was no problem to buy Sierra Cossies and top of the range Range Rovers etc

I can’t see why anyone would complain about buying another unmarked car that blends in well to do it’s job. Saw it the other week pulling in a white van man. No problems with unmarked cars at all.

The venerable ST Focus pair (silver and blue) are both long gone, but there are a number of exceptionally long in the tooth standard ones knocking about as supervision/ CID cars. Must be at least ten years old. 

The Legendary Cosworths were before my time, but the three Range Rovers we purchased 07/08 were at a time when they were being virtually given away. The X5 is now the weapon of choice for tactical ops, and is standing up to the role across GB very well. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The venerable ST Focus pair (silver and blue) are both long gone, but there are a number of exceptionally long in the tooth standard ones knocking about as supervision/ CID cars. Must be at least ten years old. 

The Legendary Cosworths were before my time, but the three Range Rovers we purchased 07/08 were at a time when they were being virtually given away. The X5 is now the weapon of choice for tactical ops, and is standing up to the role across GB very well. 

I think the silver ST is still going well privately, But yes, I still see the standard ones knocking about

If I was a bobby in a fast pursuit, I would prefer to be in the Focus ST than a beemer

Edited by dilligaf
typed booby instead of bobby

3 hours ago, finlo said:

About time they chopped in the navy blue Smax and Mondeo estate,  they're about 12 years old and so faded visitors must think we're on the bones of our arse (well we are but that's beside the point).

I believe the Mondeo estate set off for pastures new this weekend. £550 at auction if I remember rightly, or something like that. Bargain. 

Also sold the silver Accord estate I hadn't seen out and about for years - can't remember if that was police or docs now. 

6 hours ago, maynragh said:

I believe the Mondeo estate set off for pastures new this weekend. £550 at auction if I remember rightly, or something like that. Bargain. 

Also sold the silver Accord estate I hadn't seen out and about for years - can't remember if that was police or docs now. 

The mondeo and Smax were used for collision investigation and had a function to disable the ABS fitted. To keep the SMAxgoing, they actually found a donor 2.5 engine.

the garage worked wonders over the years

oh, and the Accord was used by the training staff. It might be hiding at Port Erin. 

Edited by Derek Flint

14 hours ago, Max Power said:

The BMW having better roadholding and handling characteristics also helps to keep costs down I would think?

Government does have access to some great fleet deals and it makes sense to take advantage of them and change the vehicles regularly to keep value in them. This also reduces running costs. 

as long as it doesn't snow.........

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

That'll be more to do with the driver than the car...

Not so sure, a RWD BMW on summer tyres is going to have lots of issues in snow.

However I'd take good odds on the police maintenance guys putting winter tyres on them which will help a lot.

And of course many BMWs now come with AWD and the nifty little 'traction' option in the driving modes :)

28 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Not so sure, a RWD BMW on summer tyres is going to have lots of issues in snow.

However I'd take good odds on the police maintenance guys putting winter tyres on them which will help a lot.

And of course many BMWs now come with AWD and the nifty little 'traction' option in the driving modes :)

Thank you for confirming my comment...