Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

So you doubt we would build a road connecting Douglas and Onchan along the easiest route across the reclaimed seafront if we elected to do it again? 

I refer to the prom as being the walkway, if the width and importance of that piece of the infrastructure were reduced, then the roadway could have been much improved?

14 hours ago, Kopek said:

If we were building Douglas today, would we build a promenade? I doubt.

It seems to be a Victorian thing. Where you have a beach, you need a promenade. All the same, I love looking at old Manx photos of how Douglas has changed over time. It's interesting to note that there were road-widening and land reclamation schemes going on. For example in and around Broadway and also Port Jack to accommodate the Manx Electric Railway.

12 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

So you doubt we would build a road connecting Douglas and Onchan along the easiest route across the reclaimed seafront if we elected to do it again? 

Actually 'we' didn't.  King Edward Road, which runs from Derby Castle to Groudle was originally started as part of the construction of the Manx Electric Railway (though insisted on by Tynwald) and was owned by the Groudle Glen and Hotel Company.  It was actually a toll road up to 1927 and in a pretty poor state.  It wasn't till the 30s when it was upgraded and probably much later that it became one of the main routes into Douglas - in part because of the growth of Onchan from the 1930s on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

It was reclaimed.  I think that was the point.

Wouldn’t be allowed now because of the shell fishes etc.  Same as building any of the harbours, the park in Ramsey, several of the promenades etc.

It would they just need the same brown envelope delivery system that Dandara and Harmony use.

18 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Not a lot of alternatives to seafront without reversing half the one way system in Douglas.

I mean that might not actually be a bad thing to consider. When was the traffic flow around Central Douglas looked at? It seems nuts that the main car park at Shaws Brow empties out onto Athol Street which is always backed up due to cars wanting to cross Peel Road, but there never being space on Banks Hill. 

There's likely to be some easy wins that could be had if it was looked at and an actual plan made. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, James Blonde said:

I mean that might not actually be a bad thing to consider. When was the traffic flow around Central Douglas looked at? It seems nuts that the main car park at Shaws Brow empties out onto Athol Street which is always backed up due to cars wanting to cross Peel Road, but there never being space on Banks Hill. 

There's likely to be some easy wins that could be had if it was looked at and an actual plan made. 

Didn’t they do this when the hospital was built.  Cooil Road, Saddle Road, down from the business park to Braddan bridge, braddan bridge, kewaigue, past the nunnery, the quay, Lord Street, top of a Johnny Watterson’s, Cronk ny mona, Govenors etc etc.

All completely rebuilt in the last (20?) years, and still don’t flow properly.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, Hooly said:

I went via the railway lines from Union Mills to Crosby yesterday. The crossing at Glen Darragh Road is surprisingly open/unmarked etc especially following this inquest. One tiny blue sign saying give way. All gates wide open and inviting someone to go straight over the road. 

I know there should be common sense when approaching either this crossing or St John's, as you can see the road from a good distance back, but unfortunately 'you should have had some common sense before crossing the road' isn't an argument anymore. 

Is there any sort of plan in DoI to deal with these sort of things, or are the solely focusing on the St John's crossing because that's where the accident was?

Is there not a chicane type obstruction at the approach to the 'junction', something that would slow both vehicle, pedestrian/cyclist before crossing the area?

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Is there not a chicane type obstruction at the approach to the 'junction', something that would slow both vehicle, pedestrian/cyclist before crossing the area?

No.  Both side of that junction are open and the trail is tarmac as they are both used for access to sewage stations, one by the Church and one not far from the campsite.