How easy is it to stand for a local election, or as an MHK

LightBulb

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Far easier to stand and be elected as an Member of the Legislative Council (MLC). All you need is a womb and that.

Easier, but a very sleazy way to creep into Tynwald. I recommend against it, not only for moral reasons but in purely Machiavellian terms it will be a short-lived or forever tarnished political career. The current trend (for the self-serving ones in it just to become career politicians) is to go outside of the scope of their constitutional role and engage in self-promotional PR, like asking lots of stupid questions to get media attention, kissing up to James Corrin, jumping in front of cameras while kids are trying to get their photos taken at climate protests, all in the hopes that they will then be able to use all that opportunistic marketing to stand and fool the plebs into legitimately electing them in a general election. 

5 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Easier, but a very sleazy way to creep into Tynwald. I recommend against it, not only for moral reasons but in purely Machiavellian terms it will be a short-lived or forever tarnished political career. The current trend (for the self-serving ones in it just to become career politicians) is to go outside of the scope of their constitutional role and engage in self-promotional PR, like asking lots of stupid questions to get media attention, kissing up to James Corrin, jumping in front of cameras while kids are trying to get their photos taken at climate protests, all in the hopes that they will then be able to use all that opportunistic marketing to stand and fool the plebs into legitimately electing them in a general election. 

What advantages are there to kissing up to somebody like James Corrin for heavens sake. You'd be more respected if you just ignored the man

23 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I still have my Brenda Cannell blow up dolly....

I would like to propose a change of topic for this thread. I'm getting frightened to click on it. But the damage has been done

So perhaps a game. The above is the answer. What is the question?

I'll go for:

Captain of the Titanic to the crowds in the lifeboats: Right folks, I know I said to leave everything behind but what has everyone brought with them?

Archived