Chief minister declares climate emergency

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need to panic... I think this is going to be a very ‘Manx’ emergency... so far the only policies I’ve seen related to this announcement are the banning of fossil fuel fired domestic boilers in all new homes and the same for vehicles, both of which were going to happen anyway whether the IOM chose to or not - unless I’ve missed a few dedicated fossil fuel engine and boiler manufacturers hiding out round here. 

But the highlight surely has to be...

a BAN on Peat cutting, WITHIN MONTHS! And no I’m not making that up, stated WITHIN MONTHS - like that was really the point which underlined how serious they’re taking it now. Anyone know anyone still cutting Peat?

Strangely no mention of large scale power production or jet fuel for global political jollies. 

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Will we be given subsidies for solar panels and or wind turbines?  That would be nice.

Grow grass and hedges. Then trim them now and again. You can get huge subsidies for that.

According to our National Propaganda Mouthpiece and that isn’t HRH The Chief Ministers gob, Fossil Fuel Cars are to be banned from 2040. 

Will Jacksons/Motor Mall still be here in 20 years time? Will the great unwashed and riff-raff be able to afford electric vehicles? Will their be subsidises to encourage people to buy electric or fossil fuel free cars? 

You can bet one thing though, the likes of the great and the good in the farming community will still be picking up their subsidies, grants or their handouts of the day. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/age-range-of-climate-change-respondents-surprises-chief-minister/

Incidentally all this absolute rubbish being spouted by Government supposedly to encourage us to walk or cycle, with their very poor track record of terrible project management skills on infrastructure projects, either over running or over budget, I’m sure we will need a leading Bigwig to conduct a report into the workings of the Incompetence Department a la Michaels Report. Mediocrity will float under the surface whilst failure will rise to the top. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/active-travel-could-boost-islands-mental-health/

Will that permanent state sponsored vested interest Bus Vannin and the Transport be subject to any new environmental controls? Or is that only the population who will be under the controls of the states quasi jackbooted civil service police? We will have to build a new museum up at Summerland to house all the old Steam heritage railway trains, which will be prohibited by HRH The Chief Minister as they are fuelled by fossil fuel. Are we going to ban cruise ships? Evidence on their emissions aren’t looking to rosy. 

Jumping and Bandwagon, nothing thought through and policy diversion only mention to divert attention from Thursday Michaels Report. 

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Grow grass and hedges. Then trim them now and again. You can get huge subsidies for that.

I’m sure they do already.

16 hours ago, NoTail said:

Will we be given subsidies for solar panels and or wind turbines?  That would be nice.

Yes it would, however we have that many vested interests here and busybodies that nothing will ever get achieved. There will be moans at any proposals for Wind Farms as they may disrupt Steam Packet sailings. I’m sure the Cruise Lobby on the island will spout something. Not forgetting Manx National Haemorrhage who if anybody wants to put a wind turbine up or solar panels, MNH will be the ultimate veto on any plans, even if planners agreed. I’m all for solar panels and wind turbines etc we need to apply common sense in our decision making, and apply it to everyone, not letting special interest groupings get away with bending the rules

16 hours ago, NoTail said:

Government of Ireland offers a 'Deep Retrofit Programme' that ought to be adopted here

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/deep-retrofit-grant/

This'll be another Isle of Man Government spin doctor directive. 'Emergency' my arse.

Bit it will take the focus off such as Malcolm and the Health Services. Probably something else aswell.

There'll be a shelf full of stuff like this.

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Maybe after the banning of fossil fuel vehicles, the Island could become some dystopian, final ‘Mad Max’ type destination, where supercars and bikes can run free, running on biofuels?

that might work?

Bet biofuels will only be permitted for aircraft, especially military

Just now, Donald Trumps said:

Bet biofuels will only be permitted for aircraft, especially military

And Govt delegations to New Zealand. And such.

Archived