Chief minister declares climate emergency

Albert Tatlock

You kind of get the impression that the climate emergency headline is to try and distract attention away from the fact that they are still doing fuck all about it apart from the pissing about around the edges. I suppose when you have a chief minister who drives a v8 Jag and an environment minister who drives a range rover, any action was never going to be particularly radical. 

A load of condescending crap!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chris C said:

You kind of get the impression that the climate emergency headline is to try and distract attention away from the fact that our Health Service has just had lumps torn out of it by someone who actually knows what he's talking about.

Fixed...

I agree with the load of condescending crap epithet, but what in reality can be done about this on an IOM level? Nothing. It is just virtue signaling of the worst kind.

On a global scale I believe that the momentum taking us to higher and higher carbon activity is unstoppable. Population growth alone dictates this, but add in infrastructure development and the demand for incessant economic expansion across the world and it is difficult to see where even a slowdown of emission increase is coming from, let alone a reversal to former levels.

1 hour ago, Chris C said:

You kind of get the impression that the climate emergency headline is to try and distract attention away from the fact that they are still doing fuck all about it apart from the pissing about around the edges. I suppose when you have a chief minister who drives a v8 Jag and an environment minister who drives a range rover, any action was never going to be particularly radical. 

A load of condescending crap!

Just like when Quayle was Health Minister and selected Charters as CEO. About 60 stone between them and fronting a Department exhorting the rest of us to walk, cycle, run, exercise more and eat less...yeah...like you did eh Howard?

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I agree with the load of condescending crap epithet, but what in reality can be done about this on an IOM level? Nothing. It is just virtue signaling of the worst kind.

On a global scale I believe that the momentum taking us to higher and higher carbon activity is unstoppable. Population growth alone dictates this, but add in infrastructure development and the demand for incessant economic expansion across the world and it is difficult to see where even a slowdown of emission increase is coming from, let alone a reversal to former levels.

I completely agree, if everyone on the island, man woman, child, cat, dog cow, sheep and pig broke wind at the same time, there would be a pretty much zero effect on worldwide emissions. This is like the IoM declaring war on ISIS, pretty much meaningless. 

If there were accurate and regular air quality information, we could measure any improvements as they are implemented! As it is we are just following the findings of science fascism which many scientists are afraid to disagree with. I fear that we will soon be banned from driving into Douglas or charged very heavily for doing so. Fuel and road taxes will rise, all to fuel the PS pension and other government waste!    

I don’t think we have so much as a climate emergency, more of a case of a Chief Minister Emergency. 

Its fair to say its easier to sort out the environment than dealing with a wanting, pathetic and cleanly useless Chief Minister. It’s a shame the other useless MHKs aren’t able to rise up and mount a coup against HRH. 

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I don’t think we have so much as a climate emergency, more of a case of a Chief Minister Emergency. 

Its fair to say its easier to sort out the environment than dealing with a wanting, pathetic and cleanly useless Chief Minister. It’s a shame the other useless MHKs aren’t able to rise up and mount a coup against HRH. 

He looked like a social pariah at Spamalot the other night, all on his lonesome at the back!

In the Manx Radio news item the CM said something about himself being a 'bit' naive about the response HE expected from the iomg's consultation document.

Boy what an understatement!

Also he talked about future legislation that would ban all fossil fuels being used for home heating. ER....what's left, because Gas is a fossil fuel, oil is and electricity is generated by coal, oil or gas, all fossil fuels!

So do they intend to invest the neccessary millions into solar, wind or wave power.....I don't think so.

Be interesting to see what alternative solutions their 'think tank' (sic) comes up with in the meantime.

3 hours ago, Sentience said:

In the Manx Radio news item the CM said something about himself being a 'bit' naive about the response HE expected from the iomg's consultation document.

Boy what an understatement!

Also he talked about future legislation that would ban all fossil fuels being used for home heating. ER....what's left, because Gas is a fossil fuel, oil is and electricity is generated by coal, oil or gas, all fossil fuels!

So do they intend to invest the neccessary millions into solar, wind or wave power.....I don't think so.

Be interesting to see what alternative solutions their 'think tank' (sic) comes up with in the meantime.

For home heating look at heat pumps.

Archived