Horse trams on the wrong track

On The Bus

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Still I'm sure Mr Longworth took his own advice and goes everywhere by bus.

Why do that when there's the much more attractive option of the back-hander Mercedes....? :ph34r:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Not the event that is not the point. The point is that there is a tram museum and their horse tram looks similar. Likewise the Douglas trams are heading the same way ie short haul museum curiosity at limited times on restricted track. Apparently Edinburgh is or was considering getting a horse tram back on the tracks for sentimental reasons..When you scan the globe you can see many images of horse trams similar to Douglas but now gone.

Typical Bazza....

7 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-gb/attractions/disneyland-park/horse-drawn-streetcars/

Disney runs horse drawn street cars in Paris...Or to paraphrase a well known saying by someone I cannot remember...So this is Douglas. Well you can tell it is not Paris....Disney's trams look in keeping with their surroundings...

Bazza, it's not your heritage.....

1 minute ago, On The Bus said:

Thanks Barrie, that shows there is absolutely nothing special about the tired old trams on the Promenade. Scrap them and let's all move on! 

Or make a comedy boxed set featuring the trams and entitled "On the trams"...Cue..."I 'ate you Longworth!"....Then scrap 'em…

Should ensure long term survival of tram memories in the archives with showings in little cinema attached to horse tram museum...If it's anything like On the buses it will be rerun forever...

Plenty of comedy plot lines available for the boxed set and of course any resemblance between the characters and any MHKs and Douglas councillors living or dead is entirely coincidental..

I imagine "On the trams" would by a hybrid of Steptoe and On the buses???

2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I spent about 20 years helping to pay for them and I bought a season ticket and commuted using the trams. Likewise the steam railway..

heritage

noun

a special or individual possession - a birthright

10 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I spent about 20 years helping to pay for them and I bought a season ticket and commuted using the trams. Likewise the steam railway..

Give up while you are still losing...

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

heritage

noun

a special or individual possession - a birthright

Ok then..I have a Manx great great Grandmother Jane Higgins born Malew 1815 gives her birth place though as Castletown in the UK 1861 census. Her antecedents are Kelly and Quiggin..

Groucho Marx was banned from using the pool at a country club being he Jewish..He asked if his daughter could go in up to her knees as she was quarter Jewish or was it half..Anyway, maybe I could claim an eight of one horse tram heritage portion. By the way are the horses all Manx and part of the deal?

5 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Ok then..I have a Manx great great Grandmother Jane Higgins born Malew 1815 gives her birth place though as Castletown in the UK 1861 census. Her antecedents are Kelly and Quiggin..

Groucho Marx was banned from using the pool at a country club being he Jewish..He asked if his daughter could go in up to her knees as she was quarter Jewish or was it half..Anyway, maybe I could claim an eight of one horse tram heritage portion. By the way are the horses all Manx and part of the deal?

BS.

Groucho Marx - "I refuse to join any club that would accept me as one of it's members.....

(Or similar. Apparently the original letter was lost.)

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/car-drivers-told-to-get-on-the-bus/

its amazing how this civil servant has a complete hold over that Department. Does he have information that he can use against Ministers or other colleagues? It seems he can go about his business on the roads, buses, electric and steam railway and horse trams, with impunity, and nobody challenging his comments, least of all any from the Minister. 

We tend to imagine that he has secret video of Howard Quayle doing unspeakable things with a performing seal and a tub of lard, but the reality is even more depressing.  In Manx public service  if you act with sufficient force and arrogance you can get away with doing whatever you want, irrespective of whether your actions are sensible, workable, budgeted for, or even legal.  No one will be brave or knowledgeable enough to even try to stop you and most other civil servants and politicians will be keener to preserve the idea than none of them can ever be wrong than trying to prevent something bad happening.  And of course once they go along with it, they are complicit as well and have even less ability to resist the next, even dafter, idea.

The classic example of this was the MEA, but I'm sure we can all think of others, large and small.  There doesn't even need to be corruption involved, though it's an attitude that helps corruption thrive.  It's very rare that there is any resistance to such behaviour, the main recent example was getting rid of Mark Charters, but even that may have been more due to the numerous jobs he created not going to the 'right' people rather than the fact he was messing up the Health Service even more.  And of course his sponsor, Quayle, was rewarded by being made Chief Minister, having proved he had the the most significant characteristics they look for - weakness and gullibility.

More usual is what has happened with Longworth with his behaviour being tolerated and indulged for years and eventually, after the complaints became too loud, being rewarded with a 'special' job where he could do whatever he wanted (that's a rather splendid listing of some of his more prominent disasters from IOM Newspapers, but there were many more).

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

It was right that the good burghers of Douglas shouldn't be funding what is a national asset.

The horse trams are something that differentiates Douglas from any other dump of a provincial UK town.

As to the heritage aspect like Laxey Wheel it should be borne in mind that these days it's the heritage of less than 50% of the population. So if you're a foreigner then maybe, just maybe, you should keep shtum about something that's not really any of your business.

If you don't like funding it, well, you know what you can do...

Love a bit of casual racism.

Race, religion, colour, gender has fuck all to do with the trams. It has everything to do with being a taxpayer, and if you are a Muslim from Pakistan who pays his way they can have there opinion too.

so you fuck off PK back to your little crab shell. 

47 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

Thanks Barrie, that shows there is absolutely nothing special about the tired old trams on the Promenade. Scrap them and let's all move on! 

Now that's an opinion, not one I share , you move on if you want to , "include me out".

There  may well be a case for  the transport  Heritage attractions being run by charities as they do across by enthusiasts who know what they are doing . 

That said I think Longworth was a strange appointment but as they say in LG/CS  " An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance" , the man is IMO a menace (eg in his cavalier disregard of H&S legislation in the mountain rail fiasco where IMO he should have been prosecuted and sacked).

I have had the misfortune to meet the man and endured his  self congratulatory lecture , he's not short on apparent self confidence , I wouldn't employ him. 

Just saying:flowers:

Archived