Horse trams on the wrong track

On The Bus

Seriously, I would imagine this "wrong line" working is because the line is not yet long enough to reach a crossover? If there are even going to be crossovers? Of course there might be some other reason. Perhaps they could have half a dozen hefty blokes at the temporary terminus to just lift the tram off one line onto the other?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think this misses the point.  With the DoI, construction works are an end in themselves.  They mean more self-importance accrues (with the associated salary/pension/goodies) to those planning and managing them while lucrative contracts go to favoured suppliers.  So the more prolonged and  disruptive and expensive they are the better and if everything needs to be done twice, it's even better than that.  They don't give a stuff about the horse trams (which by their standards of heritage transport should be quite cheap to run) but they provide a wonderful excuse to dig up the Prom again and again and build nice new stables at vast cost.

This has nothing to do with heritage itself - indeed it tends to be opposed to it because they want to spend money on new stuff rather than preserve the old (apparently there's nothing much wrong with the old stables).  Longworth has been quite happy to get rid of historic stuff if it could be used as an excuse to spend money.  But by DoI standards he is behaving like a hero because money is spent, not to achieve any particular aim or for more general benefit, but as the main and only purpose of the Department.

Yes. "Heritage" on the newest line in the British Isles! :D

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think this misses the point.  With the DoI, construction works are an end in themselves.  They mean more self-importance accrues (with the associated salary/pension/goodies) to those planning and managing them while lucrative contracts go to favoured suppliers.  So the more prolonged and  disruptive and expensive they are the better and if everything needs to be done twice, it's even better than that.  They don't give a stuff about the horse trams (which by their standards of heritage transport should be quite cheap to run) but they provide a wonderful excuse to dig up the Prom again and again and build nice new stables at vast cost.

This has nothing to do with heritage itself - indeed it tends to be opposed to it because they want to spend money on new stuff rather than preserve the old (apparently there's nothing much wrong with the old stables).  Longworth has been quite happy to get rid of historic stuff if it could be used as an excuse to spend money.  But by DoI standards he is behaving like a hero because money is spent, not to achieve any particular aim or for more general benefit, but as the main and only purpose of the Department.

100% agree. I’m not sure I missed the point though. As I said they will be quite happy to see former tax paying dry cleaners, dog groomers, t-shirt shops and restaurant owners go totally bust so that they can find new ways to waste our money to re-purpose massive loss making tourist attractions to lose even more of our money so that they have something to actually do to keep them in jobs. 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh you old cynic!:D

According to the official myprom website there is supposed to be no parking or stopping on Queens promenade over TT. 

Mind you according to that site the track should be complete between Derby Castle and the Castle Mona and the seaside roadway also completely finished up to Switzerland Road before TT week. 

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We were behind a bus trying to counter the tram today. It wasn’t good.

But there were five people on it. Two of those were crew, I concede, but it is still pretty good for practice week.

But the Mumbling Minister says it's not the horse trams that hold up the traffic it's the parked cars... Oh wait there are no parked cars.

3 hours ago, On The Bus said:

Can the police take enforcement action against them running the wrong way down the road?  It'll end up with a person being trampled, seriously damaged car or worse

On that short stretch of track there is nowhere to change from one side to the other. 

Archived