Horse trams on the wrong track

On The Bus

It seems in the hurry to get the tram tracks finished so the trams could hold up the TT traffic, they neglected to put in a tram crossing... so now trams are running on the wrong side of the road directly in to oncoming traffic!

I was driving back into Douglas this afternoon from Port Jack and was in a queue of traffic that was faced with a massive horse and a tram (with no passengers on it) coming straight towards us on the wrong side of the road! it was bad enough when they held up traffic and ran on the left-hand side of the road. 

Who the hell signed off that mad idea? There is barely enough room for a tiny car between the parked cars and the tram coming the wrong way - especially now that the two tracks are further apart than they were! Buses were forced on to the opposite side of the road. Just wait for a horse to get spooked and take off! 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, On The Bus said:

It seems in the hurry to get the tram tracks finished so the trams could hold up the TT traffic, they neglected to put in a tram crossing... so now trams are running on the wrong side of the road directly in to oncoming traffic!I

Jesus the whole thing with the trams has been a clusterfuck from the start. Longworth needs binning along with his stupid train set. He seems happy to put prom traders out of business just so he can ass about playing at being the fat controller. 

4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Jesus the whole thing with the trams has been a clusterfuck from the start. Longworth needs binning along with his stupid train set. He seems happy to put prom traders out of business just so he can ass about playing at being the fat controller. 

The horse trams just need binning off altogether. One of the workers on the Prom told me they would have most of the bit between Summerhill and the palace finished now if they didn't need to put the tracks back down. Instead, residents and businesses are faced with another winter of misery while they dig up the road either side of the track that has already been done. 

6 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

The horse trams just need binning off altogether. One of the workers on the Prom told me they would have most of the bit between Summerhill and the palace finished now if they didn't need to put the tracks back down. Instead, residents and businesses are faced with another winter of misery while they dig up the road either side of the track that has already been done. 

I agree. Only on the IOM would one man like that be given a blank cheque to pretty much put actual trading businesses out of business closing the road and extending the cost and time of essential roadworks so that we as taxpayers can rack up even more losses running a new and improved loss making tourist attraction. It is literally insane. Anywhere normal that alone would have lost him his job ignoring all the other waste and industrial-grade ineptitude he’s been responsible for over the years. 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I still haven't heard why the single rail planned for Loch Promenade was not installed all the way along the prom? Madness!

Here’s a clue - you won’t

10 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I still haven't heard why the single rail planned for Loch Promenade was not installed all the way along the prom? Madness!

Every revised proposal was kicked out at Tynwald - a bit like Brexit, so all that they could settle on was the status quo. Again, if we look into the future, a bit like Brexit.

16 minutes ago, woolley said:

Every revised proposal was kicked out at Tynwald - a bit like Brexit, so all that they could settle on was the status quo. Again, if we look into the future, a bit like Brexit.

Can we get Jacob Rees Mog on the case? That would be fun.

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree. Only on the IOM would one man like that be given a blank cheque to pretty much put actual trading businesses out of business closing the road and extending the cost and time of essential roadworks so that we as taxpayers can rack up even more losses running a new and improved loss making tourist attraction. It is literally insane. Anywhere normal that alone would have lost him his job ignoring all the other waste and industrial-grade ineptitude he’s been responsible for over the years. 

I think this misses the point.  With the DoI, construction works are an end in themselves.  They mean more self-importance accrues (with the associated salary/pension/goodies) to those planning and managing them while lucrative contracts go to favoured suppliers.  So the more prolonged and  disruptive and expensive they are the better and if everything needs to be done twice, it's even better than that.  They don't give a stuff about the horse trams (which by their standards of heritage transport should be quite cheap to run) but they provide a wonderful excuse to dig up the Prom again and again and build nice new stables at vast cost.

This has nothing to do with heritage itself - indeed it tends to be opposed to it because they want to spend money on new stuff rather than preserve the old (apparently there's nothing much wrong with the old stables).  Longworth has been quite happy to get rid of historic stuff if it could be used as an excuse to spend money.  But by DoI standards he is behaving like a hero because money is spent, not to achieve any particular aim or for more general benefit, but as the main and only purpose of the Department.

Archived