Horse trams on the wrong track

On The Bus

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Mr Longworth on the glorious nations station this morning telling all you whining car drivers it's not the horse trams, not the busses but you. You car drivers that are causing the problems on the prom. Get the bus was his advice, put rather firmly I might add. In fact I will.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/car-drivers-told-to-get-on-the-bus/

its amazing how this civil servant has a complete hold over that Department. Does he have information that he can use against Ministers or other colleagues? It seems he can go about his business on the roads, buses, electric and steam railway and horse trams, with impunity, and nobody challenging his comments, least of all any from the Minister. 

24 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Mr Longworth on the glorious nations station this morning telling all you whining car drivers it's not the horse trams, not the busses but you. You car drivers that are causing the problems on the prom. Get the bus was his advice, put rather firmly I might add. In fact I will.

Somebody needs to point out to the pr1ck that people are already having to pay a small fortune in taxation for the privilege of using their cars, a big lump of which goes to fund his vanity games, which in true IoM Civil Service mentality don't even have to break even or make any money, they just need to be bottomlessly funded.

Under his thinking the public should also pay out a bit more (to use the buses) as well as what they're paying to use their cars.

What an absolutely arrogant knob.

It was right that the good burghers of Douglas shouldn't be funding what is a national asset.

The horse trams are something that differentiates Douglas from any other dump of a provincial UK town.

As to the heritage aspect like Laxey Wheel it should be borne in mind that these days it's the heritage of less than 50% of the population. So if you're a foreigner then maybe, just maybe, you should keep shtum about something that's not really any of your business.

If you don't like funding it, well, you know what you can do...

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Was he asked why there have been two lanes rather than one lane?

I know it is obvious but needs to be said - there is less demand for Horse Trams so a single track would be ideal. This would alleviate much of the traffic congestion on the promenade.

Unless Government has a secret plan for a tramway like in Manchester etc (might make sense?)

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It was right that the good burghers of Douglas shouldn't be funding what is a national asset.

The horse trams are something that differentiates Douglas from any other dump of a provincial UK town.

As to the heritage aspect like Laxey Wheel it should be borne in mind that these days it's the heritage of less than 50% of the population. So if you're a foreigner then maybe, just maybe, you should keep shtum about something that's not really any of your business.

If you don't like funding it, well, you know what you can do...

https://www.tramway.co.uk/whatson/horse-tram-day-12/

Seems horse trams exist across...look remarkably similar possibly made by same firm....

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Typical Bazza

• This event has passed.

Not the event that is not the point. The point is that there is a tram museum and their horse tram looks similar. Likewise the Douglas trams are heading the same way ie short haul museum curiosity at limited times on restricted track. Apparently Edinburgh is or was considering getting a horse tram back on the tracks for sentimental reasons..When you scan the globe you can see many images of horse trams similar to Douglas but now gone.

28 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Was he asked why there have been two lanes rather than one lane?

I know it is obvious but needs to be said - there is less demand for Horse Trams so a single track would be ideal. This would alleviate much of the traffic congestion on the promenade.

Unless Government has a secret plan for a tramway like in Manchester etc (might make sense?)

Double track from Derby Castle to somewhere near Broadway, then single track with passing places

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

But as there are no dedicated bus lanes on the Island, any bus is going to be affected by exactly the same factors as a car would be - only more so because it will be larger, slower, and having to stop for passengers.  If you're worried about being late for work, "Do this you'll be even later" isn't going to go down well.

Still I'm sure Mr Longworth took his own advice and goes everywhere by bus.

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Typical Bazza

• This event has passed.

https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-gb/attractions/disneyland-park/horse-drawn-streetcars/

Disney runs horse drawn street cars in Paris...Or to paraphrase a well known saying by someone I cannot remember...So this is Douglas. Well you can tell it is not Paris....Disney's trams look in keeping with their surroundings...

Archived