proof reader needed?

doc.fixit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, quilp said:

The lad who delivers the Courier to my gaff puts it only half-way through the letterbox. I once came home late one rainy, windy Friday evening to find an inch of water in the vestibule because the folded paper had channeled the rain water into it. Good job we'd changed to a sealed floor and not carpets. I managed to catch up with him one day, further down the road, told him what had happened with the half-delivered newspaper and said I didn't even want it anyway and it went straight in the bin. With an indecipherable grunt he carried on his way...

Six months on, the Courier is still being delivered, and yes, protruding half-way through the letterbox, every friday, with the occasional minor flood when it rains. The MDF skirting-board has now 'blown' because of it and needs replacing.

Youth, wasted on the young... 

you should have slapped him around his stupid head with the soggy paper. Might have focused his attention a bit more...

28 minutes ago, Declan said:

Personally, I think a youth spent worrying about skirting board discolouration is a youth wasted. 

Oh yeah? I wasn't too bothered to be honest but as you're being wistfully philosophical, consider this... He obviously wasn't worried about MY skirting-board though, was he? Didn't occur to him, I realise: his young and fertile mind dwelling instead on other youthful pursuits such as climate-change and pudenda. No matter common sense. And see ruination rather than just discolouration, do you know what 'blown' MDF looks like? It has to be replaced, removing it will cause more cosmetic damage which will require 'making good' (patching up and repainting). MY time and MY expense, including a measly tenner for a new porch mat.

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Oh yeah? I wasn't too bothered to be honest but as you're being wistfully philosophical, consider this... He obviously wasn't worried about MY skirting-board though, was he? Didn't occur to him, I realise: his young and fertile mind dwelling instead on other youthful pursuits such as climate-change and pudenda. No matter common sense. And see ruination rather than just discolouration, do you know what 'blown' MDF looks like? It has to be replaced, removing it will cause more cosmetic damage which will require 'making good' (patching up and repainting). MY time and MY expense, including a measly tenner for a new porch mat.

In fact, I think middle-age is wasted worrying about stuff like this too. 

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Of course if previous generation had used their fertile minds to dwell on climate change, maybe there wouldn't be so much rain pouring in through your letterbox.. 

Mind you, if their effectiveness as downspouts is so great, maybe we can avoid spending the £40 million that Quayle is so avid to splurge and re-purpose unused copies of the Courier as flood defences.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course if previous generation had used their fertile minds to dwell on climate change, maybe there wouldn't be so much rain pouring in through your letterbox.. 

Mind you, if their effectiveness as downspouts is so great, maybe we can avoid spending the £40 million that Quayle is so avid to splurge and re-purpose unused copies of the Courier as flood defences.

I think we'd struggle there now, their whole issues are as thin as tissue paper these days. No good even as blotting paper.

7 hours ago, quilp said:

The lad who delivers the Courier to my gaff puts it only half-way through the letterbox. I once came home late one rainy, windy Friday evening to find an inch of water in the vestibule because the folded paper had channeled the rain water into it. Good job we'd changed to a sealed floor and not carpets. I managed to catch up with him one day, further down the road, told him what had happened with the half-delivered newspaper and said I didn't even want it anyway and it went straight in the bin. With an indecipherable grunt he carried on his way...

Six months on, the Courier is still being delivered, and yes, protruding half-way through the letterbox, every friday, with the occasional minor flood when it rains. The MDF skirting-board has now 'blown' because of it and needs replacing.

Youth, wasted on the young... 

MDF and water do not go well together - builders are only putting it in your house because it is cheap crap. Always insist on proper timber or (preferably marine standard) plywood

45 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

MDF and water do not go well together - builders are only putting it in your house because it is cheap crap. Always insist on proper timber or (preferably marine standard) plywood

Yes, Donald, I know. I do all my own joinery. Thanks anyway. 

Archived