proof reader needed?

doc.fixit

Isn't the Courier free? I don't know because I don't get one, so Ganesh, could you drop yours off to me??? I may be missing something.

There was said to be a way to fold and twist a newspaper that was good to light a fire, coal that is, I've tried this when my gas shilling runs out but it doesn't seem to get the old boiler working? Anyone any ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, quilp said:

On the subject of proof-readers, just how difficult is it to get a headline correct?

:lol:

_20191130_115357.JPG

Wrighty's correct that we all tend to rely too much on spellcheckers nowadays, but headlines always seemed to be particularly vulnerable even before computer typesetting started helping a bit.  On a lot of systems they don't even now seem to checked for spelling.  The rule was always the bigger the font, the more likely something was likely to be missed.  It's not helped by the fact that they're usually the last thing to be written (or re-written to fit space) and so won't get even the minimal checking that the rest of the article will.

(Also of course it's a stupid headline because there's nothing to prevent it being democratic and a recipe for deadlock).

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Wrighty's correct that we all tend to rely too much on spellcheckers nowadays, but headlines always seemed to be particularly vulnerable even before computer typesetting started helping a bit.  On a lot of systems they don't even now seem to checked for spelling.  The rule was always the bigger the font, the more likely something was likely to be missed.  It's not helped by the fact that they're usually the last thing to be written (or re-written to fit space) and so won't get even the minimal checking that the rest of the article will.

(Also of course it's a stupid headline because there's nothing to prevent it being democratic and a recipe for deadlock).

Check out the article beneath about the Onchan Commissioner being "inimidated"....

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Check out the article beneath about the Onchan Commissioner being "inimidated"....

Ah but is he inimitable!  You wouldn't believe how long that took for me to see it.:(  There's a particular problem where you have uprights together (i/l/t) in spotting if something is wrong, though I suspect that also shows how even producing a word that isn't in the spellchecker doesn't help.

Of course it's a particular problem for many news sites (such as IOMN and MR) in that the headline is often part of the URL so they're stuck with the mistake forever.  Twice in the case of IOMN who managed to put the Ramsay column up a second time with the same mistake in it.  Weekends, as I've said before, seem to be a particularly bad time.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ah but is he inimitable!  You wouldn't believe how long that took for me to see it.:(  There's a particular problem where you have uprights together (i/l/t) in spotting if something is wrong, though I suspect that also shows how even producing a word that isn't in the spellchecker doesn't help.

Of course it's a particular problem for many news sites (such as IOMN and MR) in that the headline is often part of the URL so they're stuck with the mistake forever.  Twice in the case of IOMN who managed to put the Ramsay column up a second time with the same mistake in it.  Weekends, as I've said before, seem to be a particularly bad time.

The E Team takes over from the D Team at weekends. Manx Radio has the same problem.

The lad who delivers the Courier to my gaff puts it only half-way through the letterbox. I once came home late one rainy, windy Friday evening to find an inch of water in the vestibule because the folded paper had channeled the rain water into it. Good job we'd changed to a sealed floor and not carpets. I managed to catch up with him one day, further down the road, told him what had happened with the half-delivered newspaper and said I didn't even want it anyway and it went straight in the bin. With an indecipherable grunt he carried on his way...

Six months on, the Courier is still being delivered, and yes, protruding half-way through the letterbox, every friday, with the occasional minor flood when it rains. The MDF skirting-board has now 'blown' because of it and needs replacing.

Youth, wasted on the young... 

Archived