Trouble on the Buses

foxdaleliberationfront

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

A lot of those mini bus drivers look well past retirement. Zero hours probably works brilliantly for them as a pension top up. 

Quite possibly, but I was referring to zero hour contracts generally SOS, there are quite a lot of unscrupulous employers out there

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Shows how little you know. I have and budgeted the start up correctly to include any staff needed.

I imagining it was called La La Land Tours...with a fleet of rainbow coloured buses, touring to the unicorn reserve.

Yeah...everyone has the capital to easily start a business.

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I imagining it was called La La Land Tours...with a fleet of rainbow coloured buses, touring to the unicorn reserve.

Yeah...everyone has the capital to easily start a business.

Nothing to do with buses. Mind you, I'd have made myself a lot richer selling pints to you in the Rovers...

On 9/22/2019 at 12:44 AM, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What a strange mentality and encapsulates the  problem with the  bus drivers.

You shouldn't be paid extra to work weekends. It's the job. Same as prison wardens, police and nursing?

But it's not strange from those employed on the casual contract, that allows you to accept or reject certain shifts. They've given up the higher rate and security of a salary for a  lower hourly rate comes with flexibility of shifts. They'll do this for childcare reasons or because they have another job or business.  Maybe they need to make the most unpopular shifts more attractive with a higher hourly rate. 

40 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

They could earn more than that on a fri sat night delivering pizzas. To expect loyalty and commitment from someone on a zero hours contract is naive in the extreme.

Unless you are Albert...

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Theres only one real solution. And that's to lower pizza delivery drivers wages and outlaw tipping.

Agreed. Feckers are paid far too much, it's clearly upsetting the balance of the whole local economy.

Signed. I. Longworth

So we've now established that zero-hours contracts and scheduled public services don't mix?

Fun fact: I recently filed an FOI request with Bus Vannin. I have a car but am trying to use public transport whenever possible and I noticed that the timetable often seemed like it was connected to the random number generator in Microgaming's basement, so I wanted to know how punctual they really are and if and how this is measured. They were all friendly and efficient about it and their director even phoned me up to talk about it all. In a nutshell, they take their service KPIs from whatever is best practice in the UK and are aiming for an 85% on time target, whereby on-time means no more than a minute early or five minutes late. Apparently until a few years ago there weren't really any KPIs here and they are now achieving that 85% target most of the time. I think he said it was around 88% since the last time table change in April or something.

The second question I asked was about the number of complaints received in the last twelve months, which according to BV stood at 348, or almost one per day.

It's not a perfect bus service but for such a small island it's quite good. It has the odd hickup and is definitely suffering from staff issues but I believe many problems at BV date back to old contracts and working practices. Apparently IOM drivers get more breaks and things like UK drivers as well.

If anything I'd like them to make the GoCard thing proper real time. At the moment, when you top it up it's not credited immediately (like, say, an Oyster card) and instead takes minuteness or even hours to show the new amount you loaded on it. I've seen people's cards not working in the morning when they said they just topped it up before leaving the house, meaning they had to pay the higher cash fare. Had buses go past me a few times  as well (and I'm hard to miss) and one driver recently told me I should stick my hand out so he knows he should stop. As if people standing at a bus stop wouldn't be indicator enough that they may want to ride a bus, but there you go. For toytown, it's alright.

here's the FOI thingies:

https://iom.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=D455577&bin=Y&auth=0&db=ZVD1ZPdIGvo%3D&access_token=yrTa5X4PQxFdxmVdWyeI5W4zof9Tj7CjCfxwVdwFlVJq19fAZlBOSCL67dQXzJbn.4wkpKLL8mN5IdW-v_3zLVQ%3D%3D

https://iom.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=484645&bin=Y&auth=0&db=ZVD1ZPdIGvo%3D&access_token=fvJWXH_G0MKxJbA4Q3hcsgleSJU_RsItFjZOTwnB7_a4Mbhe7IULk0vUHs-u62Td.fa6kIMPGUy5H1GWH_HFu0w%3D%3D

So few things to unpack there...

Is the 85% for every stop on the route or just the end. I agree they are punctual in general, however, and lateness always seems to have a plausible explanation (some idiot dug up the Prom, there's a motorcycle race etc). 

GoCard agree about the top up not being fast enough, I go into the Visitor Centre to top up mine because I know it tops up immediately. Would be nice to have one card or all the ticket combinations. 

Sticking hand out is the convention. I think it makes sense, especially Brown Bobby etc that are served by a number of services. Also every morning the bus stops at Santon for a bloke whose waiting for a colleague to pick him up, then wastes a few minutes trying to rejoin the traffic. 

Archived