Trouble on the Buses

foxdaleliberationfront

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

So 70 quid an hour is probably not far off.

Except when he's driving a bus, which he does for free.

(Or at least to ensure the Dept he's paid to manage meets it's timetabled service obligations and avoid the consequences for him if it didn't)

Shambolic and just about sums up the crap that is the DOI.

Reading the FOI response puts me in mind of Alf Tupper in The Rover comic hero (The Tough of the Track) who was a plumber (I think) during the day and then a record breaking middle distance runner at all other times.  As Wikipedia says:

he was at his best the day after a night on late shift, lifting heavy objects and getting little sleep. His journey to the track (often White City) almost invariably involved falling asleep on the train and missing his stop.

Let's hope Mr Black doesn't fall asleep at his desk and miss his tea break.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:52 PM, Amadeus said:

a. They were all friendly and efficient about it and their director even phoned me up to talk about it all. In a nutshell, they take their service KPIs from whatever is best practice in the UK and are aiming for an 85% on time target, whereby on-time means no more than a minute early or five minutes late. Apparently until a few years ago there weren't really any KPIs here and they are now achieving that 85% target most of the time. I think he said it was around 88% since the last time table change in April or something.

b. It's not a perfect bus service but for such a small island it's quite good. It has the odd hickup and is definitely suffering from staff issues but I believe many problems at BV date back to old contracts and working practices. 

c. If anything I'd like them to make the GoCard thing proper real time. At the moment, when you top it up it's not credited immediately (like, say, an Oyster card) and instead takes minuteness or even hours to show the new amount you loaded on it. 

Hi Amadeus,

a. To be fair, it is very responsive and fairly commendable for IL to ring you personally but KPI's are statistics that can be manipulated to suit an argument, and Ian has played that card on many occasions; sadly whether it was the DCCL, DOI or Procurement Dept., he has never had anyone with the experience or wherewithal to challenge his spending authority. Even the CEO withdrew an offer he made to Unite under bizarre circumstances, an offer that was contrary to IL's wishes. 

b. It should be a Rolls Royce service based on the amount of money that has been signed off in recent years for IL to spend at his behest. Irrespective of the whys and wherefores of the old contracts and working practices etc. IL is solely responsible for the staffing issues that have ruined many lives in the process due to his dictatorial management attitude. The strikes and antipathy towards management by the old guard resulting in weekend staffing issues are down to his bullish demeanour, arguably resulting in lower KPI figures.

c. The Oyster Card providers (Parkeon) decided against tendering (with their Wayfarer machines) after it was clear to them that IL and Graham Cregeen had abused the tendering process in favour of Ticketer. I had a meeting with the Head of Procurement about this but I understand Robertshawe signed it of when he had his month at DCCL. The capabilities of Ticketer's system was over played by Cregeen when justifying the original £400k to Tynwald.

I hope this gives everyone a better understanding of everything.

On 9/24/2019 at 4:39 PM, Will Halsall said:

Hi Amadeus,

a. To be fair, it is very responsive and fairly commendable for IL to ring you personally but KPI's are statistics that can be manipulated to suit an argument, and Ian has played that card on many occasions; sadly whether it was the DCCL, DOI or Procurement Dept., he has never had anyone with the experience or wherewithal to challenge his spending authority. Even the CEO withdrew an offer he made to Unite under bizarre circumstances, an offer that was contrary to IL's wishes. 

b. It should be a Rolls Royce service based on the amount of money that has been signed off in recent years for IL to spend at his behest. Irrespective of the whys and wherefores of the old contracts and working practices etc. IL is solely responsible for the staffing issues that have ruined many lives in the process due to his dictatorial management attitude. The strikes and antipathy towards management by the old guard resulting in weekend staffing issues are down to his bullish demeanour, arguably resulting in lower KPI figures.

c. The Oyster Card providers (Parkeon) decided against tendering (with their Wayfarer machines) after it was clear to them that IL and Graham Cregeen had abused the tendering process in favour of Ticketer. I had a meeting with the Head of Procurement about this but I understand Robertshawe signed it of when he had his month at DCCL. The capabilities of Ticketer's system was over played by Cregeen when justifying the original £400k to Tynwald.

I hope this gives everyone a better understanding of everything.

It wasn't IL who phoned me but some other director. He seemed nice enough but of course I realized that it was a possible attempt to keep some info out of written public record. Not that it really mattered as I got the info I wanted. They claim 85% on-time performance but obviously measure it at selective points (main stops) which means they are still late within the runs at times.

Remembering all the past drama at that place, I think it's safe to say they won't be winning any management awards anytime soon. In how far that's right or wrong is to be debated, but just as with the continued issues at the airport and elsewhere, in the end it comes down to political failure and mismanagement.

Well of course you would measure it as selective stops.  In reality you will always get different hold ups and free runs on a run from Ramsey to Douglas say.  They might be two minutes late until Onchan but arrive on time at the bus depot.

Cant really see how you can  avoid having some lateness with runs unless you allowed more time between stops etc.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gizo said:

Another U turn. Bus vannin now making scheduled services down North again. Jurby to Ramsey. Plus the additional dial a ride as well. 

Cost saving they said. 

Our Governments ability to get anything right this day and age are somewhat diminishing, no proper governance, no proper direction, just blagging everything that goes wrong, as Gizo says it was a cost saving exercise that will turn out to be a taxpayers increase.  Longworth you need to go for starters and maybe take Black with you to name but a few! 

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Another U turn. Bus vannin now making scheduled services down North again. Jurby to Ramsey. Plus the additional dial a ride as well. 

Cost saving they said. 

But they also said it was a cost saving taking it out. Isn’t it great when you can claim everything you do is a cost saving without having to actually show you have saved any costs at all. 

I'll risk a contrary view.  It isn't a U turn. They are not putting the full sized buses back on to run empty again. They are using the ring and ride minibuses and keeping that system but saying that they will also incorporate these specific runs at these set times. So there is a timetabled service but it will also divert to pick people up at home. It seems like a compromise worth trying. Credit to them.

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They had a meeting with residents who moaned about the mini bus service not working and wanting regular bus services back on. How does a youngster there with no car get to/from work in Ramsey/Douglas etc. ?

cycle in

Archived