Trouble on the Buses

foxdaleliberationfront

I'll double check my notes at home but I believe the 85% is for the main timing spots (Lord Street, Ramsey, port Erin, etc) at the start and end of a route, and not all stops. They could have dug out the exact timing for all stops along all routes I requested, which according to the guy I spoke to is being recorded by the Ticketer system, but apparently that's time intensive and I didn't insist on it.

Hand out was at the gaiety stop. Only a few going along the prom I think. Maybe I was showing my bus n00b status there.

GoCard fare bands are weird for such a small place.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put my hand out there. You could be wanting to cross the road or be waiting for a cab. Especially with the confusing nature of the roadworks at the moment. Also there's the occasional driver would take it as an excuse not to see you. 

It's been mentioned on here, a number of times, that Ian Longworth the former Director of Transport regularly performs driving shifts on the buses, but I heard today, from a bus driver that DoI Chief Executive Nick Black has also taken to driving buses at the weekends. Apparently 'canteen talk' has it that this duo are paid £70 per hour, as their rate is linked to their day job.

Now, I have to say that I'm very skeptical about the rate I was quoted, but I do suspect this will be a 'no smoke, without fire' scenario. Can anyone throw any light on this aspect. 

7 hours ago, Nellie said:

It's been mentioned on here, a number of times, that Ian Longworth the former Director of Transport regularly performs driving shifts on the buses, but I heard today, from a bus driver that DoI Chief Executive Nick Black has also taken to driving buses at the weekends. Apparently 'canteen talk' has it that this duo are paid £70 per hour, as their rate is linked to their day job.

Now, I have to say that I'm very skeptical about the rate I was quoted, but I do suspect this will be a 'no smoke, without fire' scenario. Can anyone throw any light on this aspect. 

Could you seriously refuse to cough up £19 per hour to staff then step in to do the job yourself for £70 per hour?  That has the hallmarks of man down the pub, but if there's any truth it certainly would prove the mantra Isle of Man where you can.      

A close friend of mine had a job on the mini buses at the £10 per hour rate doing the school runs. She was quite happy but realised that the timetable needed drastic reform as there were empty buses driving around and buses pointlessly doing pick ups from miles away whilst closer buses stood idle or kids were being left uncollected or undelivered. She put it to the bloke in charge who agreed change was necessary, she drew up the new timetable and guess what? on the proposed day of implementation it was business as usual on the old timetable...so she left

23 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I hope he keeps better control over the bus than he does over the DOI! 

Doubt it as he's the definition of incompetence . Weights and measures lacky to CEO ..incredible  really...Isle of Man where you can ...F*** up regularly and not be penalized .

14 hours ago, Nellie said:

Nothing to do with me but an FOI request was mentioned to me recently regarding this: 

https://iom.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=D438869&bin=Y&auth=0&db=ZVD1ZPdIGvo%3D&access_token=YbbkwwrI_bldRD1gxQepAJWhuXAO9JO42361__OiZ__EB1tkFxO3gHwuZ3IKoqxI.XMnFeDuAnDjv9PgU3Roobw%3D%3D

Dear ### We write further to your request which was received on 14 August 2019 and which states: "Good morning, I wonder if you could let me know the highest hourly rate paid to any person (whether normally employed as a driver or not) driving a bus for Bus Vannin, whether part time or full time, casual or permanent, or just helping out, at any time during the week, during the calendar year 2019. I appreciate that many of the driver's rates are in the public domain but was just interested in any anomalies."

On 15 August 2019 you were provided with the following information: “Please be advised, the highest paid employee who has driven buses during the period is the Department’s Chief Executive Officer, who is employed on the JESP 14-18 pay scale of the Public Service Commission, the pay rates for which are publically available on the Office of Human Resources website. The Chief Executive Officer does not claim any additional or overtime pay, take any time in lieu, claim any allowances or take any form of benefit over and above his annual salary for undertaking bus driving duties, when requested over any weekend on which there is a temporary shortage of drivers. The following link will take you to the Office of Human Resources website: https://hr.gov.im/salary-leave-and-pay/pay-scales/ On 16 August 2019 you asked for clarification, asking us to calculate what the actual hourly rate for the highest amount paid is. As we have advised, the Department of Infrastructure’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the highest paid person in the Department who drives a bus. Any work required of the CEO in order to support the Department is part of his substantive role and is therefore included within his normal salary, which is contracted on an annual basis but paid monthly. In order to calculate his hourly rate, we have used the fact that driving a bus adds an average of 7 hours 24 minutes to his usual working hours, thus making it a 70 hour week; on this basis, the hourly rate paid to the CEO for the discharge of all his duties is £36.68.

The clarifications in the first response to your enquiry continue to apply. For comparison purposes only, a contracted bus driver, dependent upon contract and the date worked could earn a maximum of £20.03 per hour.”

15 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

As we have advised, the Department of Infrastructure’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the highest paid person in the Department who drives a bus. Any work required of the CEO in order to support the Department is part of his substantive role and is therefore included within his normal salary, which is contracted on an annual basis but paid monthly. In order to calculate his hourly rate, we have used the fact that driving a bus adds an average of 7 hours 24 minutes to his usual working hours, thus making it a 70 hour week; on this basis, the hourly rate paid to the CEO for the discharge of all his duties is £36.68.

The clarifications in the first response to your enquiry continue to apply. For comparison purposes only, a contracted bus driver, dependent upon contract and the date worked could earn a maximum of £20.03 per hour.”

Hang on if it adds to his hours then he’s being paid extra for it surely? Or is that theoretically adding to his hours? They can’t say he gets an annual salary and that’s all and then say but bus driving adds 7 hours to his week at £36 an hour surely?  

53 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Nothing to do with me but an FOI request was mentioned to me recently regarding this: 

https://iom.icasework.com/servlet/servlets.getImg?ref=D438869&bin=Y&auth=0&db=ZVD1ZPdIGvo%3D&access_token=YbbkwwrI_bldRD1gxQepAJWhuXAO9JO42361__OiZ__EB1tkFxO3gHwuZ3IKoqxI.XMnFeDuAnDjv9PgU3Roobw%3D%3D

Dear ### We write further to your request which was received on 14 August 2019 and which states: "Good morning, I wonder if you could let me know the highest hourly rate paid to any person (whether normally employed as a driver or not) driving a bus for Bus Vannin, whether part time or full time, casual or permanent, or just helping out, at any time during the week, during the calendar year 2019. I appreciate that many of the driver's rates are in the public domain but was just interested in any anomalies."

On 15 August 2019 you were provided with the following information: “Please be advised, the highest paid employee who has driven buses during the period is the Department’s Chief Executive Officer, who is employed on the JESP 14-18 pay scale of the Public Service Commission, the pay rates for which are publically available on the Office of Human Resources website. The Chief Executive Officer does not claim any additional or overtime pay, take any time in lieu, claim any allowances or take any form of benefit over and above his annual salary for undertaking bus driving duties, when requested over any weekend on which there is a temporary shortage of drivers. The following link will take you to the Office of Human Resources website: https://hr.gov.im/salary-leave-and-pay/pay-scales/ On 16 August 2019 you asked for clarification, asking us to calculate what the actual hourly rate for the highest amount paid is. As we have advised, the Department of Infrastructure’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is the highest paid person in the Department who drives a bus. Any work required of the CEO in order to support the Department is part of his substantive role and is therefore included within his normal salary, which is contracted on an annual basis but paid monthly. In order to calculate his hourly rate, we have used the fact that driving a bus adds an average of 7 hours 24 minutes to his usual working hours, thus making it a 70 hour week; on this basis, the hourly rate paid to the CEO for the discharge of all his duties is £36.68.

Thanks Will! That's a very comprehensive answer. So, he drives the buses for nothing, when required? I'm not sure I believe that! 

Maybe he'll be laying concrete and paving slabs on the Promenade, next week. 

47 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Hang on if it adds to his hours then he’s being paid extra for it surely? Or is that theoretically adding to his hours? They can’t say he gets an annual salary and that’s all and then say but bus driving adds 7 hours to his week at £36 an hour surely?  

It says that he doesn't take any additional or overtime pay although in order to answer the question they have given a value to his hourly service. I don't think it's any form of conspiracy on that front

Archived