Bus Drivers’ Masonic wave

MrPB

2 hours ago, MrPB said:

Apparently it is no longer merely acceptable to stand at a bus stop and expect a bus to stop for you. You now have to devise some sort of secret wave to alert the bus driver to the fact that you expect him to stop at the bus stop you are standing at even though you are standing at a bus stop (presumably as you wish to board a bus).

Using public services used to be so simple before all these complex rules. I always presumed that they invented bus stops so that buses stopped for people who indicated that they wanted to get on a bus by standing at a bus stop.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/please-signal-to-bus-drivers-says-iom-transport/

So the bus pulls in at the stop and the people stand still as they want a different bus. Driver pulls back out wasting more time and fuel.

You may have noticed that different busses go to different places. They have numbers on the front and destinations, so if it is the one you want, you put your hand out. If it is not the one you want you get back to Facebook, Instagram or whatever until the correctly numbered bus comes along. Simples

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

It is obviously too much of a challenge for MR PB to extend his arm, now why does that not surprise me.

I imagine you extend your arm frequently and vigorously ;)

1 hour ago, Lightening McQueen said:

How are you meant to text and signal to the bus at the same time?

Very easily according to the Facebook post that seems to have given rise to this 'story':

Isle of Man Transport

Put your hands up in the air! Remember all our bus stops are request stops so make sure you signal to the bus driver.
Also at night if you’re in an unlit bus stop and have a smart phone please use the torch, it will help the driver see you.

Indeed being on your smartphone seems to the only way to get noticed.

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Jeez...  You have always had to signal the bus to request them to stop.

You should try getting a bus in the centre of a major city and seen how you fare.

Quite. And how much better to raise an arm and make eye contact with the driver than to stand vacantly and feel like a twat as the bus sails past. It's simple self-interest. 

Well, I do wave them down these days but that still hasn't stopped at least two of them recently from ignoring me and going past the stop without stopping. A written complaint to banks circus was never replied to.

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

To some extent this is how it has always been and I suppose it's basically making sure that people signal so a dozy bus driver doesn't miss them.  But I wonder if there is a slight change in policy here in that certain stops (usually the main one in a village or whatever) were always treated as compulsory halts - often because the bus needed to be held back for a minute or so to get back on timetable.  Recently I've noticed that they haven't always stopped there (say at the main stop in Ballasalla) in there was no one to get on/off.  So that may be a change in practice if not in theory.

Yes, I noticed that at the Manx Arms stop in Onchan a few days ago (late afternoon). No one waiting and obviously no one alighting so it just sailed on past. I always thought (obviously wrongly) that it was a definite, not a maybe, stop.

12 hours ago, woolley said:

Quite. And how much better to raise an arm and make eye contact with the driver than to stand vacantly and feel like a twat as the bus sails past. It's simple self-interest. 

That's always assuming the driver wants to make eye contact with you......

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes, I noticed that at the Manx Arms stop in Onchan a few days ago (late afternoon). No one waiting and obviously no one alighting so it just sailed on past. I always thought (obviously wrongly) that it was a definite, not a maybe, stop.

Why would a bus stop where no one wanted on or off, if it was on time or indeed running a bit late?

Archived