Refugees from another Society

SJR

It's a tough question, but I honestly don't think the Island and its fragile infrastructure could handle refugees in any significant numbers at present.  I am originally from the Midlands, so I have seen mass immigration into close-knit local areas overwhelm the original population and its long established ways of life.  It certainly makes for a diverse and interesting mix of people, their languages and customs.  Think Sharia law in Leicester, Bengali parts of Birmingham.  It's good in many ways, but the UK has far more in the way of services to handle such huge influxes.  It takes people decades to evolve into a new order.  I do not see it working well here.  You may well disagree.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Lagman said:

Well we could all stop dropping bombs on them for our "friends" in the first place.

It's Russia and Syrian airforce doing the vast bulk of the bombing in Syria

UK does use missile strikes to very occasionally target an ISIS base or vehicle

US forces have been known to use artillery on a large scale against Russian mercenaries

17 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Better to send monetary aid to other areas or organisations already active in the field. I would not go down the road of bringing refugees here as it always ends up being more complicated than people with the best of intentions anticipated. Looking with one eye to Germany and what is going on there, I would firmly suggest not to get directly involved. Idealism doesn't work here.

The idealism of our right wing government & their obsession that capitalism will provide for their huge establishment?

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

It's Russia and Syrian airforce doing the vast bulk of the bombing in Syria

UK does use missile strikes to very occasionally target an ISIS base or vehicle

US forces have been known to use artillery on a large scale against Russian mercenaries

Russia came to the defence of the legitimate largely secular Syrian government.  Barack Hussein did the precise opposite.

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Russia came to the defence of it's own interests in Syria

No.  Russia was and remains more than concerned over the influx of Islam into the southern states from the former USSR state of Chechnya. If Syria had fallen it would have been one more but vital bit of the Green Crescent which would have put even more pressure on Russia and Georgia as well as the Ukrainian and Crimea .

6 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Oil ! Russia and USA totally driven by that 

Actually there's not that much oil in Syria.  At least compare to Iraq or the Gulf states.  There's enough for its own domestic needs and enough to fight over internally (as we saw with ISIS) but not enough to invade specifically for.  What Syria is about is the playing out of various proxy battles by outside forces that have interests there or want to have them (US/Russia/Turkey/Saudi/Israel/Iran etc).

14 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Oil ! Russia and USA totally driven by that 

The Russian Federation have no need for access to oil.  Russia is more than self sufficient and does not need access to the global market to sell oil into.

2 minutes ago, Rog said:

No.  Russia was and remains more than concerned over the influx of Islam into the southern states from the former USSR state of Chechnya. If Syria had fallen it would have been one more but vital bit of the Green Crescent which would have put even more pressure on Russia and Georgia as well as the Ukrainian and Crimea .

So it is in it's interests to stop it?

22 hours ago, hissingsid said:

It is much better to send money one and a half million pounds at the last count to help the many rather than bring the few over to the Island without any framework of support.

So if it's "much better to send money" to help "the many". Then why are we sending considerably less than a tenth of the UN recommended abount as a percentage of GNI?

Surely if we sent our fair share we could help many more then at present? 

20 hours ago, Rog said:

So let's take Syria.  The only refugees coming from Syria will be those who fought the legitimate Syrian government. 

They are Islamic fighters and terrorists. The rest who were caught up in the attack on the legitimate government have nothing to fear and are returning home.

So do you really want islamists in your midst?

This is the kind of rhetoric you'd expect from a man who believes it is illegal to take your car to the UK, and that he is the only one that has noticed.

I think if we had no homeless people, no.people relying on food banks and the Salvation Army for help it would be ok to send money to other countries but whilst we have our own people in crisis I would not send a brass farthing abroad.   Who sent money to help the bombed out and maimed civilians after the Second World War in Britain.....no one.   Charity begins at home.

Archived