Better off here than in UK - Cannan.

woolley

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, woolley said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/20000-workers-better-off-here-than-the-uk-says-cannan/

Paging Bazza for comment, please. Paging Bazza.

Methinks Mr Cannon his being highly selective in what he takes into account for anyone on such a low income.

Bollox. You can live on little over here, just off the top of my head, this is cheaper:

• Electricity
  • Water
  • Food
  • Fuel
  • Pretty well everything else!

Tax isn't all that high here, play your cards right & you don't pay that much.

Mr Cannan would say that though, wouldn't he? He has to.

When would any politician admit that the economy that they oversee is screwing its lower paid stratae to the floor with relatively high costs of living and extortionate taxes and charges?

Not all Alf's fault of course, not by any means. He was dealt his hand by his predecessors and has to deal with off-Island forces beyond his control.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/20000-workers-better-off-here-than-the-uk-says-cannan/

Methinks Mr Cannon his being highly selective in what he takes into account for anyone on such a low income.

I wonder if the clown managed to keep a straight face when he came out with that Baloney.

Fear not my little ones. He is here. He hears your every word. He knows your every need. He is just trying to get up off the floor......Reverting

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Bollox. You can live on little over here, just off the top of my head, this is cheaper:

• Electricity
  • Water
  • Food
  • Fuel
  • Pretty well everything else!

Tax isn't all that high here, play your cards right & you don't pay that much.

+ Road tax.

Well I  suppose he is right if you keep to tax and NI. However, I have not worked for wages since April 2008 and right now my pension plus Bennies is almost  £20,000. I would not get that over there which is why I jumped ship. I would have had to lick the Prom clean in order to get £20 K over there. 

When I went to the IOM in 1986 people said that the standard of living is better Across but the quality of life better on the Island. The penalty was everything costs more and you pay to travel. It has not changed much.

When I left I felt that the Douglas/Onchan area was getting to cost like the South East and what with building was looking like it. The late Roger Watterson said it was also beginning to sound like it...

You do well in the Island if you have an office job or if you are the hardcore Manx with A Corpy/Commissioners house and qualify for some form of Bennies or a sinecure job working for the Corpy/Govt/Police/Fire/CS etc. This helps make up for low pay...So your £20K works so long as other terms and conditions help keep you afloat.

I had to work low paid with bare hands often doing mad hours with no perks and support. If you pay market rents for room or flat all your money goes so the Minister's comments are silly. Live in the right place across and everything is cheaper and tax is not so much as it used to be.

I could not afford to live there now but I am of an age when no one wants me anyway.. 

IOMG should just admit that low incomes - and the consequent lack of spending in the local economy  - is an issue and act upon it

All the highly paid civil servants spend their free income on global holidays and world class shopping in John Lewis, Liverpool One - not here

25 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

IOMG should just admit that low incomes - and the consequent lack of spending in the local economy  - is an issue and act....

Never going to happen though, how would that admission sit with Skelly's World, the locate.im business and all the other "life is rosy and couldn't possibly be better here" line that is incessantly peddled?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the economy has been on the slide here for at least six years...just a gut feeling mind, but every now and again something like this comes out from amongst the blanket bullshit that supports it.

Think your gut feeling is correct - most of us surely are feeling similarly?

Anyway, the changing nature of work means that IOMG have to consider some kind of basic income scheme - ideally oriented towards the development of a green economy - whether it suits them idealogically or not

Archived