Better off here than in UK - Cannan.

woolley

55 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Btw...it's not mainland, it's the other bigger island.

No, it's the mainland. The British isles are an archipelago and the largest island of an archipelago is universally known as the mainland.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, MrPB said:

I’d leave tomorrow even if only for a set period of time because I don’t think we have any strategic direction at all. Brexit will throw up a load of wildcards that we simply don’t have any clue how to deal with. We don’t have a strategy for day to day getting by (if you don’t work for government) at the moment, let alone for how to grow and succeed. 

Neither does the UK so I wouldn't worry too much...what will happen, will happen.

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

I’d leave tomorrow even if only for a set period of time because I don’t think we have any strategic direction at all. Brexit will throw up a load of wildcards that we simply don’t have any clue how to deal with. We don’t have a strategy for day to day getting by (if you don’t work for government) at the moment, let alone for how to grow and succeed. 

Quocunque Jeceris Stabit.

37 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

You think our govt. is bad? Try reading, 'The Silent State', by Heather Brooke! You'll think we live in Utopia compared to the UK.

Now now,that can't be true. This place is so awful many Brits complain about it but don't leave,others leave but can't bear to be out of touch with the place.

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Just looking on iomtoday, he's now making excuses for the Govt's KPMG audited accounts being late, in response to a question from Hooper. Now due in January rather than last November.

Actually the report in IOM Newspapers is incorrect as the question actually came from the Official rather than the Provisional Wing of the Accountancy Revolutionary Army in the person of Mr Speaker.   Though I suppose if you assume that any Tynwald/Keys question is from Hooper you've got a good chance of being right.  There would be a lot of blank space in the newspapers without his inquisitiveness.

Cannan was clearly completely unable to deal with the question (Q2) of course:

The Speaker: Can I ask the Treasury Minister: when will the audited accounts for 2018-19 be laid before Tynwald?

The Minister for the Treasury (Mr Cannan): Mr President, it is the current intention of Treasury to lay the audited accounts for 2018-19 before the January sitting.

The Speaker: The Treasury Minister will appreciate that the accounts are usually laid before Tynwald in October. Last year was the latest they had ever been, in November. Can the Treasury Minister give some reasons as to why the accounts are still not yet ready for presentation to the Court?

The Minister: Mr President, there is absolutely no undue reason, except that this year is the final year of an audit contract with KPMG and there is, of course, a need to ensure that the accounts are ready for an appropriate transition to the new auditors.

The Speaker: If all of the questions have been put and all the questions have been answered, what is so different about the timetable this year? What is it that has been done this year that has not been done in previous years? I would appreciate just a little bit more clarity from the Treasury Minister.

The Minister: Simply that the auditors have been asking for more information. As I said, Mr President, this is their final year and they wished to make sure that the accounts were appropriately prepared to transition to a new … [Inaudible].

Of course there's no reason why the auditors should need to ask for any more information than previously unless they hadn't been asking for enough in previous years.  

17 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Just looking on iomtoday, he's now making excuses for the Govt's KPMG audited accounts being late...

These days, auditing Government accounts takes up a lot of extra man hours due to all the extra necessary toilet breaks...

senior-businessman-laughing-office-meeting-260nw-93828106.jpg.dde3dc6b39ff7824073b379823b656b7.jpg

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The Minister: Simply that the auditors have been asking for more information. As I said, Mr President, this is their final year and they wished to make sure that the accounts were appropriately prepared to transition to a new … [Inaudible].

The inaudible bit when subject to forensic analysis reads ........    will someone shut that twat up we're in enough trouble without him highlighting it to the public !

With the Government pension black hole crisis surely it is of the utmost importance to cut the numbers of civil servants and MHKs could start with a cull of the Legco. the present incumbents getting fifty grand a year for doing not a lot if anything is ludicrous.   Three people with a knowledge of law and procedure is all that is needed.  Get this sorted, get means testing for social housing stop wasting money on vanity projects which are not needed and we cannot afford and this government will have made a difference, not a chance but it is nice to dream.   I know a lot of people who can only dream of having £50 a week disposable income there are so many people trying to keep balls in the air we could become a national of jugglers, a new national sport even.   The haves and the have not divide is alive and kicking and there are far too many have nots.   To believe that people over here are better off than across financially takes a special kind of delusion.

Archived