Better off here than in UK - Cannan.

woolley

Much of my on-Island shopping is at the Co-op - that at Peel and Duke St Douglas have restricted choice and somewhat higher prices for some items than the large branch at Ramsey, prices at Ramsey where I often went to shop on wet Sunday afternoons post acquisition of the bus pass, prices seem to be the same as the larger branches in the UK but this is based on a few visits in UK as no large branches within easy reach where I am in SE England - their fruit + veg are nearly always considerably better value than Shoprite + Robinsons especially once the 'divi' is considered.
I gave up on Tesco some time ago when the quality was generally poor but possibly things have changed since then.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Rog said:

I understand, but it's not just physical claustrophobic - though the cold horror of coming round Kate's Cottage and seeing no boat at the pier never ended 

Really? Blimey that never ever crossed my mind. It's like you always needed the comfort of seeing the means to escape, like being on the roof and wanting to know that the ladder was still there. In that case I think you made the right move - each to his own.

I look at that same sea and think that it's what protects the Island, differentiates it and makes it as precious as it is. The sky, the hills, the sea; I think its wonderful.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

From what I can see, Tesco seems to be the same price on most things both here and in the UK. I've mentioned this before here, and other posters have concurred.

We used to support Shoprite a lot but less and less now. Mrs W has even seen Shoprite staff shopping in Tesco, so that must say something. I think the move to Sainsbury brand will be underwhelming to customers and a mistake for their business. Mrs W and I were in a Sainsburys in Southern England during the week, and they are not cheap. The stuff is OK, but pretty much everything was the same or dearer than Tesco in Douglas. What will that translate to in Shoprite? You can get away with it to some extent with Waitrose as the brand still has a certain cachet. Although Sainsbury also had that pull once upon a time, it is now just another supermarket.

It's very difficult to fault Lidl or Aldi on quality or prices.

34 minutes ago, Rog said:

It's very difficult to fault Lidl or Aldi on quality or prices.

It is. But their business model and margins would not support an outlying branch in the IOM, so I don't think we need bother ourselves with anticipation. Sometimes fill the car with some of their stuff when I'm over.

1 hour ago, Frances said:

Much of my on-Island shopping is at the Co-op - that at Peel and Duke St Douglas have restricted choice and somewhat higher prices for some items than the large branch at Ramsey, prices at Ramsey where I often went to shop on wet Sunday afternoons post acquisition of the bus pass, prices seem to be the same as the larger branches in the UK but this is based on a few visits in UK as no large branches within easy reach where I am in SE England - their fruit + veg are nearly always considerably better value than Shoprite + Robinsons especially once the 'divi' is considered.
I gave up on Tesco some time ago when the quality was generally poor but possibly things have changed since then.

Yes, Co-op is good. I'm surprised at your comment re Tesco fruit and veg. I think that they and Co-op are on a par and are consistently good, apart from the very odd lapse. I have for years thought that Robinsons let Shoprite down in a big way. I have to be desperate to buy Robinsons' fruit. I like to support local, but I've had too much stuff on the edge of no good.

On 12/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, The Orgozoid said:

Ignoring higher rent and mortgage costs, higher utility costs, the price of food, and petrol etc! 

Even if you are just taking in tax and national insurance, it's a bit desperate to be shouting about a miniscule difference in nett pay at the £20k salary level.

UK calculator: https://www.reed.co.uk/tax-calculator/20000

IOM calculator: https://thompsons-cas.com/resources/tax-calculators/payroll-calculator/

Well, the farmers will be even better off here. New enhanced grants scheme approved by Tynwald (MR online). All sorts of environment and habitat initiatives.

Howard's looking after the lads.

2 hours ago, Frances said:

I was just in the Co-op & they had a half size tin of coconut milk for £1

Full size is a - quite reasonable - 75p in Shoprite

9 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I now miss of living in the UK are proximity to family,

Ah, but think of less baby sitting of squarking Gran kids and being able to enjoy your retirement!!!

( If your kids read this, you don't need to concur???)

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Even if you are just taking in tax and national insurance, it's a bit desperate to be shouting about a miniscule difference in nett pay at the £20k salary level.

UK calculator: https://www.reed.co.uk/tax-calculator/20000

IOM calculator: https://thompsons-cas.com/resources/tax-calculators/payroll-calculator/

It's clear that Cannan was carefully only referring to (income) tax and NI, which as a lot of others have already pointed out is missing quite a lot of points regarding the cost of living. 

According to UK tax calculator a salary of £20,000 a year would be liable to £1630.00 Income Tax and £1389.11 NI, giving a total of £3019.11.

I couldn't get your Manx calculator to work, but my own calculations suggest Income Tax of £600 and NI of £1485, a total of £2085.  So there's a saving of £934.11.

Archived