Why the Island needs speed restrictions...

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

That's the trouble with the TT.  People are encouraged to treat the Island's road as a racetrack and we get accidents caused by feckless motorists with foreign names from distant places such as (examines notes) Quayle from Pulrose.

But of course that actually is part of the problem.  It's not just visitors who see it as a chance to misbehave but the locals as well (see also drinking behaviour).  And the absence of restrictions is going to make  them more likely to try it on, even though there are some that don't need much encouragement.  The one-way system was used as a defence in the court case and there does seem to be a situation when people are allowed to get away with whatever they want (note that this stunt was being filmed) until something goes wrong.  So there's no real disincentive because these people never think that accidents will happen to them. 

Rather than speed limits everywhere they should bring in another plate, like L or R, for people who've done something stupid. Maybe a D for dangerous or dick, you have to display it for a certain amount of time depending on how stupid you've been, maybe even have to take a test at the end. That way people like this guy have to drive around limited to 50 and everyone knows he's a dick.

I feel a little for this idiot, the one way system on the mountain and de-restriction encourages people to go fast and take chances which they wouldn't under normal circumstances. I always stayed away from the place during the TT period, even when I was younger. I took up racing to get my kicks, that takes the need to speed away. It's a shame really, most people behave themselves and are happy to just travel the mountain at a steady speed and enjoy the road.  

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

They have speed restrictions in the UK.  Guess what

We have speed restrictions along the prom, does not stop old twats in gold Volvo estates doing 40 and over taking me.

They'll not be doing 40 when the horse trams start though, cos there'll not be enough room to pass them :lol:

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I feel a little for this idiot

No rear seatbelts and several non-standard modifications. Speeds of 140, being filmed. 

Why do you ‘feel a little’ for him? He’s reckless, and his recklessness is clearly pre-meditated. I hope they throw the book at him. 

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

No rear seatbelts and several non-standard modifications. Speeds of 140, being filmed. 

Why do you ‘feel a little’ for him? He’s reckless, and his recklessness is clearly pre-meditated. I hope they throw the book at him. 

I agree with you wrighty, he's lucky nobody was killed, but young people do tend to modify their cars and drive to impress their friends. That's why I feel a certain amount of sympathy, because it's not something unusual in that respect, it's always happened and I was probably guilty of the same thing as a youth. They just didn't have the same construction and use regulations in those days.  

Just for interest, insurance companies will find all sorts of reasons not to pay up these days, adding alloy wheels, better brakes and suspension are all non standard modifications. I'm not saying that's the case in this instance.

Archived