Why the Island needs speed restrictions...

The Duck of Atholl

25 minutes ago, Frances said:

Is the 'R' plate restriction ever enforced ? - I suspect it is inherently useless as I suspect the car is being used by both a recent driver and another member of the household without removal of the R plate (likewise for the L-plate on a family car) and gives little value to other drivers.

It is enforced - here's an example from August, though he was actually picked up for other offences and I suspect that is probably the way most of them are detected. The Chief Constable's Report gives a total of 11 offences in 2018-19 and 15 in 2017-18.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

R plating is a good idea poorly executed. It also hasn't kept up with technology. a 'spy in the cab' approach is easily achievable with modern tech. It might sound a bit big brother but if it ultimately leads to less death and serious injury it is hard to ignore

And once we have that it’s a short step to road tax being charged on distance and type of road driven x time of day x pollution factor for your car.

Also insurance based on where you drive, time of day, adherence to speed limits and how you drive..

I don’t disfavour. But the data safeguards need to be in place.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

And once we have that it’s a short step to road tax being charged on distance and type of road driven x time of day x pollution factor for your car.

Also insurance based on where you drive, time of day, adherence to speed limits and how you drive..

I don’t disfavour. But the data safeguards need to be in place.

Bloody good speech.

it could be a much better world

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, Derek Flint said:

R plating is a good idea poorly executed. It also hasn't kept up with technology. a 'spy in the cab' approach is easily achievable with modern tech. It might sound a bit big brother but if it ultimately leads to less death and serious injury it is hard to ignore

We dont have a huge problem with R plate drivers dying or getting seriously injured though such that we need to adopt a Big Brother State controlled programme of spying on people.

You wont stop idiots being idiots.  Luckily there are not too many around.

MR PB you are so right I pass Haydyn Minays on a regular basis and have been amazed how people got out of some of the wrecks alive, this has been going on for years if no one gets injured these crashes do not seem to be counted.   It would be useless cutting speed limits as no one takes any notice of them and there seems to be a total lack of interest in applying them.

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yet the statistics posted by the police dont reflect that?

If you want to see just how bad some of the R drivers are, just go out for a cycle along any of the major roads...

2 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

We dont have a huge problem with R plate drivers dying or getting seriously injured though such that we need to adopt a Big Brother State controlled programme of spying on people..

The trouble is that we don't have the technology to make sure that feckless 'R'-platers only crash into other feckless 'R'-platers.  So it's hardly self-correcting.  Maybe something to slow them all down  while they get used to the freedom of driving round in a large, dangerous weapon might be a good idea.  And given the amount of CCTV and so on that is around, I think it may be a little too late to start worrying about Big Brother.

The "R" restriction just doesn't seem to have ever been policed? An "R" plated car is restricted to 50mph regardless of who's driving it, newly qualified or experienced. I've lost count of the number of times I've been passed while doing 50, by an "R" plater.

"R" plates were brought in as it was deemed unfair to limit one-car families to an engine capacity limit. Maybe we no longer have the police numbers so it's time to turn to technology as has been suggested.

The R plate idea is good in theory but poor in practice. For example, when I passed my bike test I was supposed to display an R plate and travel at a speed of 50mph on unrestricted r9ads, at the time of passing my bike test I owned a 600cc bike and knew damn well I couldn't, and wouldn't, stick to 50mph, over the mountain I would triple that speed therefore I took the R plate off the day after my test, I also knew that other drivers/passengers would take my reg plate and report me to the Police almost instantly die to the popularity of mobile phones.

I appreciate that I broke the law but I very much doubt that I am alone.

I'm not proud of what i did, I'm only stating this to show just how easy it is to circumvent the R plate thing.

33 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble is that we don't have the technology to make sure that feckless 'R'-platers only crash into other feckless 'R'-platers.  So it's hardly self-correcting.  Maybe something to slow them all down  while they get used to the freedom of driving round in a large, dangerous weapon might be a good idea.  And given the amount of CCTV and so on that is around, I think it may be a little too late to start worrying about Big Brother.

What about using a restricting device so that 50mph can only ever be achieved, the driver has to identify themselves via a retina scan and only when passed will the ignition be allowed....or something like that.

Archived