Why the Island needs speed restrictions...

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The concept was previously rejected after more than half of those responding to a public consultation were against such restrictions"

Try again but this time don't wait until TT fortnight...

We got it defeated last time in 2006, when the consultation was totally loaded in favor of it. Why unearth it again now?  Do you want to be just another county of England with speed cameras everywhere? Because without enforcement speed limits are useless. It would also kill the TT.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:23 PM, Derek Flint said:

It doesn’t have to. I hired a Peugeot 3008 recently. It “read” the speed limit signs, so where there was a temporary one, such as a 50 in roadworks on the motorway, it flagged it and ‘Pinged’ if I exceeded it. It’s not a massive leap to programme a restrictor into the software of the vehicle to cap forward speed at that limit, with an “emergency override” built in.

I've already got one of those on all of my bikes and the cars.

It's an optical system that's linked to the main computer which processes the information

14 hours ago, Amadeus said:

We got it defeated last time in 2006, when the consultation was totally loaded in favor of it. Why unearth it again now?  Do you want to be just another county of England with speed cameras everywhere? Because without enforcement speed limits are useless. It would also kill the TT.

This isn’t a matter for consultation. It’s a matter for good governance, and the state meeting its assertions on its road safety strategy, along with its art.2 obligations.

As is the way, by putting in a National Road Safety Strategy based on vision zero, a clause about persisting with derestricted roads, the IOMG has contradicted itself and made itself look rather foolish.

13 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Once again I repeat, we need logical reasons for a particular limit, its location and appropriate level of speed.......then enforce it.

How about the fact that all of our unrestricted roads are single carriageways with adjoining roads which are not slip roads (some of which are hidden) and which are not as straight as a die like motorways yet motorways most of which have 3 or 4 lanes travelling in the same direction are restricted to 70mph?

I'd call that a no brainer for restriction

9 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

How about the fact that all of our unrestricted roads are single carriageways with adjoining roads which are not slip roads (some of which are hidden) and which are not as straight as a die like motorways yet motorways most of which have 3 or 4 lanes travelling in the same direction are restricted to 70mph?

Spot on - and underpins a speed limit should be a result of a risk assessment. Crunch the data, then weigh up all the stuff you’ve mentioned above, and say, “yep, xx mph seems about right for this stretch”

This is where govt is leaving itself wide open to a legal challenge for civil damages at some point. 

5 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Exactly what I was trying to say. If you notice, I've been saying it for years! Review all roads and LOGICALLY reappraise where and what the speed limit should be.Then, DO IT NOW.

Archived