Why the Island needs speed restrictions...

The Duck of Atholl

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

How about the next innocent victim (or family of if deceased) - launches a claim of 'Incitement to cause' against the persons or department that issued the one-way, no speed limit order?

I honestly think that something like this will eventually happen. It just needs a rich person from a litigious family to be involved.

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I honestly think that something like this will eventually happen. It just needs a rich person from a litigious family to be involved.

Paging AG..... :lol:

This is almost certainly the last time I shall post this observation because I must be boring everyone to death with the repetition, but the standard of driving on this Island is utterly deplorable. It is far from confined to clowns like this bozo speeding on the one-way TT mountain racetrack; I witness multiple breaches of the very basics of decent driving day-in, day-out. The drivers who apply ‘mirror-signal-manoeuvre are in a tiny minority; overtaking on a blind bend, or brow of a hill..yes, that’s our speciality; hold on while we drive 6 inches off your rear bumper; dip your lights do you? No actually we don’t bother...and so it goes on.

Here endeth the ranting.

18 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Driving in the UK is no better. In fact, I’d say that transgressions in the lower limits (30-40) are probably more prevalent.

Perhaps; doesn’t excuse our wretched performance.

Another puzzling anomaly is Manx motorist attitude to motorcycles. I've been riding 45 years & took a 2500 mile road trip through Spain & Portugal  recently.

Not once did I have a near miss or serious conflict with a car. Yet I feel in fear of my life these days on Manx roads, which is bizarre considering motorcycles, you would expect, should be hard wired in the DNA of Manx motoring. But no, I experience the usual myopia, lack of anticipation & general poor roadcraft. That is why I always install offensively loud race exhausts to all my bikes in the belief that motorists, although blind, are unlikely to be deaf as well.

There was a time when a lot of youngsters cut their motoring teeth on a bike/moped/scooter. If you do something wrong and fall off, it hurts. You also learn that you're vulnerable. Hard but true.

Nowadays after a driving test practical just 30 min in length it seems that it's straight into the latest (or recent anyway) hot hatch, performance that would have done a racetrack proud and cocooned in driver aids and safety devices that surely leave a young mind thinking that they're invincible (notwithstanding that lots of young minds think that they are anyway?), and initially, a 50mph restriction that's there to be ignored. 

Is this the best footing for driving lifetimes?

Is the 'R' plate restriction ever enforced ? - I suspect it is inherently useless as I suspect the car is being used by both a recent driver and another member of the household without removal of the R plate (likewise for the L-plate on a family car) and gives little value to other drivers.

7 minutes ago, Frances said:

Is the 'R' plate restriction ever enforced ? - I suspect it is inherently useless as I suspect the car is being used by both a recent driver and another member of the household without removal of the R plate (likewise for the L-plate on a family car) and gives little value to other drivers.

If a car is "R" plated the 50mph restriction applies regardless of who is driving it, newly qualified or experienced.

Archived