Why the Island needs speed restrictions...

The Duck of Atholl

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

@Derek Flint obviously you have a lot of experience in dealing with incidents on the manx roads but would a maximum speed limit really be enforced?  There are certain roads on the Island where you will hardly ever see a Police Car let alone a speed trap.  That would suggest the need for speed cameras which just cause people to brake sharply as they approach and speed off once clear (based on my personal experiences in the UK).  The ones that seem to work best are the average speed cameras although 50MPH in a HGV always seems to be quicker than 50MPH in a car for some reason! 

Yes. The use of average speed cameras has a place, as does regularised enforcement.

The Chief Con just needs to get RPU numbers back to where they were before he slashed them 12 yrs ago.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

@Derek Flint obviously you have a lot of experience in dealing with incidents on the manx roads but would a maximum speed limit really be enforced?  There are certain roads on the Island where you will hardly ever see a Police Car let alone a speed trap.  That would suggest the need for speed cameras which just cause people to brake sharply as they approach and speed off once clear (based on my personal experiences in the UK).  The ones that seem to work best are the average speed cameras although 50MPH in a HGV always seems to be quicker than 50MPH in a car for some reason! 

Yes. The use of average speed cameras has a place, as does regularised enforcement.

The Chief Con just needs to get RPU numbers back to where they were before he slashed them 12 yrs ago.

Fixed speed cameras don't work because, as you say, people learn where they are and slam on the brakes then speed off.

There's something to be said for portable cameras that are moved round to random locations at different times (and not the same places at the same time each week/month)

I've never understood why speed cameras/traps have to be visible from a distance. If you're speeding you're breaking the law, why does it matter if the camera/policeman is halfway up a tree or buried in a hedge?

45 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Not if you linked the speed limit signs to GPS location.  I'm pretty sure I've come across similar functions in a car before - I may have had a BMW that adjusted its headlights to left or right side driving according to knowing if it was driving in the UK or Europe.

Mine certainly uses GPS to assist with identify the road type.  I have not driven it in Europe so not sure how it behaves there and the manual is all on an app and rather unhelpful! 

Obviously though this is only a solution that would work with new cars.  I imagine trying to retrofit such devices on the cars/vans/bikes etc over hear would be a massively expensive exercise. 

4 hours ago, The Central Scrutiniser said:

One of my offspring destroyed the family car some years ago, 4 days after passing her driving test. She was traveling over 60mph in a 40 zone, probably showing off to the 3 passengers. The traffic cop investigating was convinced when he arrived at the crash that he would be dealing with multiple  fatalities, such was the damage to the car. Amazingly there were only minor injuries.

Thankfully the courts banned her, imposed a hefty fine and made her re-sit her test. So yes, having been though such an awful experience I would gladly support some form of automatic speed restriction to new drivers.

but that isn't the speed limits people keep harping on about,  she was breaking the 40 limit anyway, unless cars have sign reading technology and limit the speed to what the last sign says you can't really control anybodies speed.

39 minutes ago, WTF said:

but that isn't the speed limits people keep harping on about,  she was breaking the 40 limit anyway, unless cars have sign reading technology and limit the speed to what the last sign says you can't really control anybodies speed.

They're a relationship though.  People often break the speed limit because they have been going fast (legally) outside them and don't slow down enough.

@Roger Mexico I concur with what you say (Visionspeednetwork) and we probably have something like that already without the titles. IMO, better to spend the money on safety than have another load of pensions or committees milking the minutes.

Side note: I overtook a blue Maserati yesterday that was travelling at 25 mph past the grandstand having followed it from Bray Hill. (Sorry for accelerating quicker than 30mph although it was safe to do so and only for overtaking purposes). Basically what I'm saying is that slow speeds also create problems just as much as speeding although the outcomes will be dramatically different should something go wrong. 

22 minutes ago, manxy said:

Side note: I overtook a blue Maserati yesterday that was travelling at 25 mph past the grandstand having followed it from Bray Hill. (Sorry for accelerating quicker than 30mph although it was safe to do so and only for overtaking purposes). Basically what I'm saying is that slow speeds also create problems just as much as speeding although the outcomes will be dramatically different should something go wrong. 

You do realise that driving is far more dangerous than 5G don't you? :whistling:

I personally don't like where this SS (Surveillance Society) is going, but I remember years back that I suggested that lamp posts should have speed restricting devices fitted to them and that cars have a device like an auto cruise feature and therefore cannot exceed the speed limit past that lamp post or area that its in. Solve all the speeding problems unless someone hacks the system like most electrical devices nowadays.

1 hour ago, manxy said:

I personally don't like where this SS (Surveillance Society) is going, but I remember years back that I suggested that lamp posts should have speed restricting devices fitted to them and that cars have a device like an auto cruise feature and therefore cannot exceed the speed limit past that lamp post or area that its in. Solve all the speeding problems unless someone hacks the system like most electrical devices nowadays.

Once again it would only work IF the speed limits are sensible and logical and in the right place.

1 hour ago, manxy said:

Out of interest, how would the speed restricting device fitted to the lamp post communicate with the auto cruise feature on the car? 

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Out of interest, how would the speed restricting device fitted to the lamp post communicate with the auto cruise feature on the car? 

It doesn’t have to. I hired a Peugeot 3008 recently. It “read” the speed limit signs, so where there was a temporary one, such as a 50 in roadworks on the motorway, it flagged it and ‘Pinged’ if I exceeded it. It’s not a massive leap to programme a restrictor into the software of the vehicle to cap forward speed at that limit, with an “emergency override” built in. 

Most modern stuff is also 4G (soon 5G) connected too. This provides for extra detection (surveillance) to be built into roadside masts if necessary.

we can all deride the erosion of freedoms, but let’s remember the primary function of transportation is to get us from A to B safely. If we want a hoon, there are other ways of getting our kicks.

Archived