Media bleating

hissingsid

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Declan said:

Cassettes have a place. For small bands wanting do limited run releases. 

Today that's really just a branding gimmick. Like having an origami business card / brochure - or fancy slide out packaging. And it's not great environmentally.

There is no practical benefit to distributing the music on cassette like that - apart from as a gimmick. It's an affectation. The audio equivalent of a shitty old-fashioned Instagram filter.

Perhaps it was clever the first band which did it for a bit of fun. The rest are derivative.

Apart from audiophiles, vinyl has been popular most especially amongst a generation which never knew it. In this context analogue is essentially a reactionary stance or pose.

One of the daftest things has been bluetooth and USB record decks.

Whena few years ago there were many good cassette players, Yamaha etc, available at the tip, it rather indicates that people were 'dumping' this outmoded media .

Who will have this outmoded media to  listen to the new upcoming bands?? yes, I will have a selection of players but will \i listen to new bands? Or just the old cassettes that I have? I fear the latter.

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Who will have this outmoded media to  listen to the new upcoming bands?? yes, I will have a selection of players but will \i listen to new bands? Or just the old cassettes that I have? I fear the latter.

Well there's 20 pages of new ones on Amazon (including Walkman-types and music centres with cassette players) , so I don't think they're short of purchase options.

7 hours ago, Declan said:

Yeah I agree the future is vinyl and streaming. The benefits of cassettes, cds, and downloads have been superseded by streaming. 

Vinyl is all about nostalgia rather than the music. Plus the value of collectables in some cases.

We like our music but don't do streaming. If we like something we'll buy the cd and load it onto the boogie-boxes. But then we move around quite a bit and like to take our tuneage with us.

We have NEVER deliberately listened to ANYTHING by Ed Sheeran. Or anything by that Thomas feller who invented the WC either.

We like the way we can load up something like 250 of our favourite tunes and then play them all on shuffle. It's like having a favourite radio station without the crappy adverts.

Got to go, we need to book the opera season in Arena di Verona....

So for me. CDs main virtues were portability and that reissued lps would have demos and none lp singles added due to the extra length. Streaming provides all that and I don't have to carry cds around with me.

A lot of the benefits of vinyl do exist in cds and even cassettes, but it's more convenient to stick to one medium and records suits me best. Aesthetically. Practically. 

Vinyl isn't really about nostalgia for me, it's just the most practical and durable medium. I've records released in 2020, that I bought in the Seventies and that me Dad bought in the fifties, all played on the same equipment. I don't need to worry about the technology going obsolete or a hard drive dying. I like the convenience of just putting a record on the turntable and it playing, not searching through files, no booting up a computer. 

16 hours ago, display name said:

It seems vinyl accounts for just over £4 Million over the last 18 months. Saying that,streaming has accounted for just over £1.6 Billion.   Poor musicians.

Your figure is way off. 4.3 million vinyl records were sold in the UK in 2019 excluding the second hand market. So that £97 million. 

Also when you buy an lp by an artist you love at least more of the purchase price goes to the artist, the record company that developed them and (depending where you shop) the local record shop that play a role in their local music community.

I still download albums over streaming. But then I prefer listening to albums than songs. Most of the time I just download MP3s, but I've got some decent at home headphones so sometimes if I'm really in the mood I'll download the album as flac. Haven't bought a physical release in years, the last one might have been the Gouranga Powered Band off a Hari Krishna dude.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Your figure is way off. 4.3 million vinyl records were sold in the UK in 2019 excluding the second hand market. So that £97 million. 

Also when you buy an lp by an artist you love at least more of the purchase price goes to the artist, the record company that developed them and (depending where you shop) the local record shop that play a role in their local music community.

I stand corrected. However,it's still nowhere near £1.6 Billion.  The revenue streams are negligible no matter which media people select though. The smart song writers have their own publishing company to get the real benefits

I think the driving force is financial, the technology merely provides the means. They don't want a sale and done nowadays; they want income streams. The stuff you used to buy they prefer to lease to you, or provide as a service for a regular charge. Cars, equipment, music, software, etc. for business or pleasure.

A few years ago if I was setting up an office for a particular function I would source the IT and the software would be bought, supplied and loaded onto my computers. Now, in many cases you just can't do that unless it's really bespoke. Accounts packages that you could buy on a CD for a one off cost you now have to rent from the publisher and they keep your data on the cloud. Once your in it's difficult to disentangle. All for your benefit of course (;)) , but I did make sure to buy a few shares in the publishers when I saw how it was moving.

Archived