Anyone know why Tescos in Douglas is so poorly managed?

Patient centred

A lot of the items are slightly more expensive here. Another of their favourite tricks is to put something on offer for a short while then put it back up to a slightly dearer price after the "offer"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, woolley said:

Most things are the same price.

I reckon that they're about 5% more expensive than the default price you will get if you google with any indication of where you are.  Items advertised on special offer may be the same and it probably varies a lot.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i wonder if you do the online shopping whether you get UK prices or is there a totally different IOM tesco site  ?

You will pay the store prices of the store that is delivering it.  There's no separate website, but Tesco's site will have the ability to set separate prices for each individual store (not just the Isle of Man) just as there will be variations in the range of goods on offer.  In practice I suspect nearby stores will be grouped together, but prices in different types in the chain (eg Tesco Express) will differ a lot and higher prices again may be used in locations where people will pay more for convenience or to reflect higher rents.

This isn't unique to Tesco - all big supermarket chains will have this ability and have had for decades.  At one time M&S used to charge the same across their chain, but I think even that may have altered.

4 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

Then why don’t they restock shelves and collect for deliveries then then??

You want them to collect fresh foodstuffs  in the evening and sit around in the trays for an extra. 10 hours before the vans set off. The stock will have  been out on display all day.

Picking in the morning means that day’s delivery is fresh off the boat.

55 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I reckon that they're about 5% more expensive than the default price you will get if you google with any indication of where you are.  Items advertised on special offer may be the same and it probably varies a lot.

You will pay the store prices of the store that is delivering it.  There's no separate website, but Tesco's site will have the ability to set separate prices for each individual store (not just the Isle of Man) just as there will be variations in the range of goods on offer.  In practice I suspect nearby stores will be grouped together, but prices in different types in the chain (eg Tesco Express) will differ a lot and higher prices again may be used in locations where people will pay more for convenience or to reflect higher rents.

This isn't unique to Tesco - all big supermarket chains will have this ability and have had for decades.  At one time M&S used to charge the same across their chain, but I think even that may have altered.

Yes, there is that facility. Much of the stuff here is very similarly priced to the same items in rural UK and outside of centres where the competition is particularly cut throat. Much is exactly the same. What differences there are really are not worth getting excited about.

15 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Nothing wrong with Tesco apart from its popularity. What drives me mad there is when I go at a weekend and there’s a family of 4 there with a 5 year old being allowed to push the trolley. YOU DON’T ALL HAVE TO GO!!!!

That sort of thing qualifies as a grand day out over here!

10 hours ago, wrighty said:

Nothing wrong with Tesco apart from its popularity. What drives me mad there is when I go at a weekend and there’s a family of 4 there with a 5 year old being allowed to push the trolley. YOU DON’T ALL HAVE TO GO!!!!

but if the 5 year old wasn't pushing the trolley they'd be grabbing stuff every few seconds and dropping  it into the trolley to the annoyance of the parent,   letting minors push trollies with the rest of the tribe inside the trolley for  ride is smart parenting.

14 hours ago, woolley said:

Yes, there is that facility. Much of the stuff here is very similarly priced to the same items in rural UK and outside of centres where the competition is particularly cut throat. Much is exactly the same. What differences there are really are not worth getting excited about.

Not sure this is true. I once ordered my weekly shop on line for pick up only to discover that the tescos here doesn’t do that and I had mistakenly ordered in ireland. I then filled my trolley with the same stuff using the receipt  ( my way of reducing impulse buying) and the cost was 30% more. 
that is significant. I can’t get a family shop done now for a week for under £110

3 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

Not sure this is true. I once ordered my weekly shop on line for pick up only to discover that the tescos here doesn’t do that and I had mistakenly ordered in ireland. I then filled my trolley with the same stuff using the receipt  ( my way of reducing impulse buying) and the cost was 30% more. 
that is significant. I can’t get a family shop done now for a week for under £110

Tesco prices in Southern Ireland tend to be higher than here. Not sure about the North. I do know they get different twofor or bogof offers however.

How did you manage to order for pick up at another store? The app doesn’t allow for  IoM pick up by car orders and you would have had to deliberately choose another store.

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Tesco prices in Southern Ireland tend to be higher than here. Not sure about the North. I do know they get different twofor or bogof offers however.

How did you manage to order for pick up at another store? The app doesn’t allow for  IoM pick up by car orders and you would have had to deliberately choose another store.

No idea but I did. It was about 2 years ago when I gave up on the deliveries due to the long lead time. All a bit embarassing. 

1 hour ago, Patient centred said:

No idea but I did. It was about 2 years ago when I gave up on the deliveries due to the long lead time. All a bit embarassing. 

Why are the lead times a problem?

I book ahead every Sunday morning for the Saturday 3 weeks ahead. Standard basic shop, bread, salad, veggies, fruit. Then a couple days before each delivery I add, subtract or cancel.

38 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Why are the lead times a problem?

I book ahead every Sunday morning for the Saturday 3 weeks ahead. Standard basic shop, bread, salad, veggies, fruit. Then a couple days before each delivery I add, subtract or cancel.

If everybody sensibly did that John then this thread wouldn't have started... :thumbsup:

Archived