Anyone know why Tescos in Douglas is so poorly managed?

Patient centred

6 minutes ago, Patient centred said:

It IS badly managed at the self checkout/ scanner but. The last two times I have been there have been no scanners left in the cradles because the staff have been ‘too busy’ to move 40 of them from the drop off to the cradles which men’s the charge runs down this delaying things further. It ain’t rocket science. 
This is in addition to blocked isles by jobs that could be done out of hours or outside of the busy times 

The same thing applies even to enough wire baskets at the entrance being available.  It maybe they want to encourage people to use trolleys and buy more, but it leads to even more clogged aisles if people have to get a trolley when they pop in for a few items.  I also wonder if self-checkout is quite the benefit to supermarkets they hoped it would be - savings on checkout staff may be lost to fraud and higher security costs.

Getting competent, reliable people to work a regular, minimum wage night shift in a job market with little unemployment is going to be challenging.  As they're open till 11 pm every night except Sunday, a lot of restocking and collection is going to have to done when they are open.  And like everyone else Tesco are tied to the Steam Packet timetable, so a lot of stuff may not be available till the day of dispatch.

That said they do always strike me as being badly managed in store - there always seems to be a lot of managers standing around talking to each other while stuff gets left undone.  But I notice that in larger Tescos in the UK as well, so it's probably an organisational thing rather than local.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if they had more delivery vans they would need more loading bays to park them in,  not enough room i suspect, and even if there was room to expand i'm sure planning would do their very best to protect shoprites interests...

on the bookings front,  can you change an order once you have submitted it ?   i was wondering if most people using the service book out the bare minimum to secure a delivery slot then ammend their order a day before delivery is due ?

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

That’s not the point (other than if you’re trying to pointlessly argue) the point of home delivery for most people is to cut down on your carbon footprint. One van delivering to 50 households not 50 households driving into Tescos in their cars every week polluting the Island. 

My point is more accurate than your 4 week wait claim... just saying 

20 minutes ago, WTF said:

if they had more delivery vans they would need more loading bays to park them in,  not enough room i suspect, and even if there was room to expand i'm sure planning would do their very best to protect shoprites interests...

on the bookings front,  can you change an order once you have submitted it ?   i was wondering if most people using the service book out the bare minimum to secure a delivery slot then ammend their order a day before delivery is due ?

That’s exactly what happens

48 minutes ago, WTF said:

Once you have selected a slot and ordered the delivery you can keep adding things to the order till the night  before delivery.

Helpful hint if you're doing a small shop - If you forget your 'bags for life' and are still keen on saving turtles, take your wire basket home.

Mrs Phantom thinks i'm crazy, but frankly I think it's genius.  I take it back when I go for a big shop or have actually remembered my bags for life.  You can also use it for a BBQ in an emergency situation if you flip it upsidedown. 

Separately I would have thought the main reason people use the home delivery service is not because they are trying to reduce their carbonara footprint, but because they have neither the time nor patience to go to Tesco themselves.  

My main gripe is that they need to have more self-service checkouts for the scanners and less of the traditional ones. It was OK when they started the scanners as there wasn't so much take up, but lately there are long queues at times for the self scan check out while the checkout operators further along are sitting scratching themselves. Another pen of similar size to the existing one and corresponding reduction in checkout tills would serve.

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There are a lot of people that use delivery services because of lack of mobility or old age or have not got transport I would suggest carbon footprint does not even enter their minds.

Or have better things to do or are bone idle. Certainly not carbon footprint.

40 minutes ago, woolley said:

My main gripe is that they need to have more self-service checkouts for the scanners and less of the traditional ones. It was OK when they started the scanners as there wasn't so much take up, but lately there are long queues at times for the self scan check out while the checkout operators further along are sitting scratching themselves. 

in which case go to one of the traditional tills then..  not as easy to forget to scan stuff then i suppose ?

Archived