Heritage railways passengers numbers

Amadeus

23 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Heard a story about Electric Tram the other day regarding Longworth creative numbers traveling on it . Very good source and seems he allegedly might have been counting Dgls to Groudle , Groudle to Laxey , laxey to Maughold and Maughold to Ramsey countered as 4 ! When he retired !!! They counted as one hence the numbers issue . Could believe it tbh . 

Who audits the passenger figures? Nobody I suspect. 

I'm sure it's just pure coincidence but it's funny how the massive drop in passenger numbers comes at the end of a 6 - 9 month period where he wasn't in office.... very unfortunate for the person who temporarily filled the hot seat.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

I'm sure it's just pure coincidence but it's funny how the massive drop in passenger numbers comes at the end of a 6 - 9 month period where he wasn't in office.... very unfortunate for the person who temporarily filled the hot seat.

Well my source is very good , promise you , so I think no coincidence !  

On 1/31/2020 at 6:04 PM, Non-Believer said:
On 1/31/2020 at 5:59 PM, thesultanofsheight said:

I wonder what the basic price of a blow job is on IOMG overtime and weekend rates? The bus drivers get £19.60 an hour just for driving a bus on a 

....wonder if it attracts a 37hr working week, annual pay increase and a pension? And a hi-falutin Job Description as well - Mouth Relief Operative, maybe

Edited Friday at 06:05 PM by Non-Believer

Sigh.

38 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

It probably won’t be a coincidence. Maybe someone told the truth for the first time in 10 years and seems to have lost their job for it. 

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Heard a story about Electric Tram the other day regarding Longworth creative numbers traveling on it . Very good source and seems he allegedly might have been counting Dgls to Groudle , Groudle to Laxey , laxey to Maughold and Maughold to Ramsey countered as 4 ! When he retired !!! They counted as one hence the numbers issue . Could believe it tbh . 

Sounds very man down the pub to me. Anyone doing such a thing would be risking prosecution for fraud. Low carryings in 2019 due to promenade works. 

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

Sounds very man down the pub to me. Anyone doing such a thing would be risking prosecution for fraud. Low carryings in 2019 due to promenade works. 

Well that's fine but trust me it's not !! I have some very good sources and if you look back on all the info I've provided on Prom and the likes ahead of time it's all been proved correct. But hey I'm not bothered if my posts are believed or not tbh. Ohh and when has anyone in government ever remotely been reprimanded etc for fraud . Look at all the stuff that's been covered up , re Signature , Vision 9 , Jacksons  etc etc .also you tell me who's the one guy that seems bullet proof when it comes to getting budgets and the likes ?? Also who was immediately given a post after he retired ..??!! Yes same guy .

1 hour ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Bates wasn't it and he's now gone !! 

20 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Well that's fine but trust me it's not !! I have some very good sources and if you look back on all the info I've provided on Prom and the likes ahead of time it's all been proved correct. But hey I'm not bothered if my posts are believed or not tbh. Ohh and when has anyone in government ever remotely been reprimanded etc for fraud . Look at all the stuff that's been covered up , re Signature , Vision 9 , Jacksons  etc etc .also you tell me who's the one guy that seems bullet proof when it comes to getting budgets and the likes ?? Also who was immediately given a post after he retired ..??!! Yes same guy .

I also hear a lot of anecdotal stuff from people in that department and disaffected former staff too. It is fair to say that Mr Longworth seems to inspire strong views,  not all of which are positive. Some of the stories from what might be assumed impeccable sources I have known to be inaccurate. Surely this story about splitting journeys to boost figures is highly dubious to say the least. It would be so obvious as the revenue would not match the passenger totals. It is simply too fanciful to believe. 

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

I also hear a lot of anecdotal stuff from people in that department and disaffected former staff too. It is fair to say that Mr Longworth seems to inspire strong views,  not all of which are positive. Some of the stories from what might be assumed impeccable sources I have known to be inaccurate. Surely this story about splitting journeys to boost figures is highly dubious to say the least. It would be so obvious as the revenue would not match the passenger totals. It is simply too fanciful to believe. 

The issue is surely that it's not worth having a well stocked shop if you have a rubbish shop window.

Does anyone visit the island just to go on the horse trams - of course not.

Does anyone visit the island just to go on the stream train - hopefully not or I'm opening an anorak emporium!

Does anyone visit the island just to go to Laxey Wheel - of course not.

But together they make a montage and create an image that might just entice folks to part with their hard-earned and give it a go. Face it, anything that camouflages Douglas can only be a good thing....

7 hours ago, woolley said:

Surely this story about splitting journeys to boost figures is highly dubious to say the least. It would be so obvious as the revenue would not match the passenger totals. It is simply too fanciful to believe. 

Perhaps not when a lot of these journeys will be passed off with Rover tickets. There's one where they get access to the Manx Heritage sites and museums and all rides on the trains they want. 

So there's likely to be a weak correlation  between reported numbers and revenue when that's one option. 

Beside how strong is revenue anyway when we know every single passenger journey made by rail is subsidised £26 by the Government 

Long overdue that the PAC dug deep and publicly into what's going on with this whole business. Tram/train operations, the Prom, buses, the whole farrago.

Long, long overdue.

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Long overdue that the PAC dug deep and publicly into what's going on with this whole business. Tram/train operations, the Prom, buses, the whole farrago.

Long, long overdue.

What even is the point in running the tram/train operations? I know we hear the shouty minority telling us how important they are. But what is the Government policy for them burning £8.5m a year? I'd also love to see the figures for CO2 emissions from empty steam trains? 

Archived