Heritage railways passengers numbers

Amadeus

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A chap on twitter had calculated that the taxpayers subsidise every single passenger journey on the heritage railways to the tune of around £26.00 !

When we were awash with cash that probably wasn't a big issue, however it is now a nonsense !

It will be justified by the Teare method of the hidden rewards of intangibles, or bullshit as I like to call them !

16 minutes ago, asitis said:

A chap on twitter had calculated that the taxpayers subsidise every single passenger journey on the heritage railways to the tune of around £26.00 !

I suspect it will be a lot more than that soon....when their share of the pension deficit gets added in.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Even if you take the horse trams last year as an anomaly they’re still 120,000 passengers down. It’s as I’d expect it to be. The steam railway will always have its contingent of middle aged, unmarried, anorak wearing, weirdos to keep the numbers going relatively steady. But the MER is just a complete waste of money as nobody wants to catch piles sitting in an open tram for an hour or more. They should just run it to Snaefell if at all. No wonder they’re trying to secretly put the MER out over the prom to try to create a potential commuter system otherwise the entire line would eventually have no use or practical application at all and is already clearly now very unpopular as a tourist attraction. But Longworth couldn’t possibly tolerate someone taking some of his loss making train set off him so he’s had to create the whole prom farce so try to lessen the likelihood of that happening. 

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Even if you take the horse trams this year as an anomaly they’re still 120,000 passengers down. It’s as I’d expect it to be. The steam railway will always have its contingent of middle aged, unmarried, anorak wearing, weirdos to keep the numbers going relatively steady. But the MER is just a complete waste of money as nobody wants to catch piles sitting in an open tram for an hour or more. They should just run it to Snaefell if at all. No wonder they’re trying to secretly put the MER out over the prom to try to create a potential commuter system otherwise the entire line would have no use or practical application at all and is clearly now very unpopular as a tourist attraction. But Longworth couldn’t possibly tolerate someone taking some of his train set off him. 

And presumably those numbers include the cruise passengers? If they do then there's clearly something wrong. It can't just be down to a lack of visitors. Is the ticket pricing right?

26 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And presumably those numbers include the cruise passengers? If they do then there's clearly something wrong. It can't just be down to a lack of visitors. Is the ticket pricing right?

I think it’s lack of interest. Has any cruise passenger got time to mess about on the MER to Ramsey for at least 3 1/2 hours on a half day lay off in the IOM ignoring ticket costs? Has anyone else got the time to be bothered to go any further than Laxey either? The MER is too long, takes too long, and the weather is often not conducive to a pleasant ride. The steam trains are a bigger draw too and on a day trip (or even if you have a couple of days) you generally can’t do both. The MER should run to Snaefell from Laxey as a heritage feature and everywhere else just reclaim the track to widen the roads, or put environmentally friendly cycle ways and walking routes in. This is why in my mind half of this prom farce has happened, they have to find another application for the trams as ticket sales indicate that the tourists clearly aren’t interested and viability is going to be questioned at some stage. Then they can pretend it’s an essential commuter route and as luck would have it the horse tram tracks can take electric trams and even the electric signaling is already installed. Who’d have guessed they’d be so lucky given the prom project specifically excluded making provision to extend the MER! 

34 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

the ticket numbers will be correct for the people that were actually given tickets.

29 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think it’s lack of interest. Has any cruise passenger got time to mess about on the MER to Ramsey for at least 3 1/2 hours on a half day lay off in the IOM ignoring ticket costs? Has anyone else got the time to be bothered to go any further than Laxey either? The MER is too long, takes too long, and the weather is often not conducive to a pleasant ride. The steam trains are a bigger draw too and on a day trip (or even if you have a couple of days) you generally can’t do both. The MER should run to Snaefell from Laxey as a heritage feature and everywhere else just reclaim the track to widen the roads, or put environmentally friendly cycle ways and walking routes in. This is why in my mind half of this prom farce has happened, they have to find another application for the trams as ticket sales indicate that the tourists clearly aren’t interested and viability is going to be questioned at some stage. Then they can pretend it’s an essential commuter route and as luck would have it the horse tram tracks can take electric trams and even the electric signaling is already installed. Who’d have guessed they’d be so lucky given the prom project specifically excluded making provision to extend the MER! 

I can see a massive car park being built on the Summerland site (incorporating the dual purpose tram terminus) to encourage/force folk to park and travel by a modern version of MER into town. Which kind of makes sense but only if the pricing is right.

1 minute ago, Manxberry said:

I think you'll find that the numbers can be bolstered quite rapidly when there is a need to show how many journeys have been made ;)

Ticket income is probably your best bet to uncover what's really going on there. 

Actually, even a simple P&L would suffice.

Archived