Heritage railways passengers numbers

Amadeus

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I can see a massive car park being built on the Summerland site (incorporating the dual purpose tram terminus) to encourage/force folk to park and travel by a modern version of MER into town. Which kind of makes sense but only if the pricing is right.

Yes that will be the other part of it. You just have to try to second guess how desperate these people are not to have their toys taken off them. They must be aware of how sales have been declining for years. Commercially the MER makes no sense at all. The main focus should be Laxey up to Snaefell and back. If you put a cycle track in on the rest you’ve got active travel options galore and aren’t we committed to cutting emissions? 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Even if you take the horse trams last year as an anomaly they’re still 120,000 passengers down. It’s as I’d expect it to be. The steam railway will always have its contingent of middle aged, unmarried, anorak wearing, weirdos to keep the numbers going relatively steady. But the MER is just a complete waste of money as nobody wants to catch piles sitting in an open tram for an hour or more. They should just run it to Snaefell if at all. No wonder they’re trying to secretly put the MER out over the prom to try to create a potential commuter system otherwise the entire line would eventually have no use or practical application at all and is already clearly now very unpopular as a tourist attraction. But Longworth couldn’t possibly tolerate someone taking some of his loss making train set off him so he’s had to create the whole prom farce so try to lessen the likelihood of that happening. 

quite insulting really. I wonder if those people consider you a weirdo for being on this forum for long periods? Live and let live eh...

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

quite insulting really. I wonder if those people consider you a weirdo for being on this forum for long periods? Live and let live eh...

Looks like you’re on here a hell of a lot more than I am so maybe next time you throw rocks don’t do it from inside your glass house? The point was there are more than enough steam railway weirdos around to keep numbers on the railway reasonably steady. Not so for other forms of redundant Victorian transport. 

16C24728-F97B-4D2F-9908-4ACC7B4BCF27.jpeg

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

And presumably those numbers include the cruise passengers? If they do then there's clearly something wrong. It can't just be down to a lack of visitors. Is the ticket pricing right?

Well, given that Skelly's just announced that the MNH Kiosk at the Sea Terminal is to close in March partly due to a lack of interest from cruise passengers.....

59 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Looks like you’re on here a hell of a lot more than I am so maybe next time you throw rocks don’t do it from inside your glass house? The point was there are more than enough steam railway weirdos around to keep numbers on the railway reasonably steady. Not so for other forms of redundant Victorian transport. 

16C24728-F97B-4D2F-9908-4ACC7B4BCF27.jpeg

Once again you insult people you don't know. Suppose it's in the way you were brought up...image.thumb.png.bb1084291b3b9d8c42bc8e518ed3fcbe.png

3 hours ago, asitis said:

A chap on twitter had calculated that the taxpayers subsidise every single passenger journey on the heritage railways to the tune of around £26.00 !

That's progress for you, come a long way since the days of a man down the pub and the back of a fag packet

52 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, given that Skelly's just announced that the MNH Kiosk at the Sea Terminal is to close in March partly due to a lack of interest from cruise passengers.....

According to our politicos and their paymasters, along with the various assorted vested interests, there is a huge, unprecedented demand for the cruise liner jeTTy and passenger facilities. Given that we as taxpayers have wasted money so far on a project, where statistics are playing a major part in decision making. If the MNH kiosk is closing due to lack of interest, speaks volumes, especially when visitors are taken on tours to IOMG attractions- so in a way it’s rigged in Governments favour, in turn making it hard for private enterprise to flourish, unless your connected to the right MHKs that is.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What MNH Kiosk? Or do you mean the main Welcome Centre?

I think there's been an additional small kiosk down there totally for cruise ship passengers and manned I believe by volunteers . I know a friend used to go and stand there and give out leaflets for his shops but stopped as it was a waste of time .

37 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Trams, MER are a just money hoovers. Part of the problem is that the politicos just can't bring themselves to say we got it wrong. ,

And in the meantime, vital services are made to do without

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I think there's been an additional small kiosk down there totally for cruise ship passengers and manned I believe by volunteers . I know a friend used to go and stand there and give out leaflets for his shops but stopped as it was a waste of time .

His shops were a waste of time?

It would appear that the promenade disruption has been the cause of the sharp decline in MER numbers. Who is going to try and find their way across that lot without the horse tram link. The main issue here is the inordinate amount of time that has been set aside to complete work on a major asset, instead of getting all hands to the pumps and completing it faster at the same cost!

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Trams, MER are a just money hoovers. Part of the problem is that the politicos just can't bring themselves to say we got it wrong. ,

No but strangely they can start ripping the DHSC and Noble’s up for millions of cost savings when at the same time we piss money away on this old junk and that’s ok. 

Archived